Correct Original Labels & Stickers

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:30 am

All this talk of stickers has got me thinking. Can we put our heads together to recall and record what stickers and labels (less VIN plates etc) came with the Elan when new?

We have recently had a thread on the white and black stickers that went onto the airbox. Pretty sure these were fitted to S4s, as well as Sprints. Anyone know when they were first fitted?

The red and silver Negative Earth sticker went into the boot area. Presumably that started after the switch from positive earth.

DHCs had the page from the manual on how to fold away the hood reduced in size and stuck into the centre of the hood tray. When did that come in?

Lots of Sprints had the Gold Leaf Lotus windscreen sticker fitted in the top near side (UK) corner.

TripleX had a small sticker around the top centre of the windscreen on a lot of cars in period. Can't recall what it said!

Often the radiator had a Bluecol or similar label attached to it indicating when antifreeze had been added. But was this affixed from new by the factory?

Any others?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 am

trw99 wrote:TripleX had a small sticker around the top centre of the windscreen on a lot of cars in period. Can't recall what it said!

Hi Tim,
I have the remains of a Triplex sticker in bottom centre of my windscreen. No idea if it's original or not but it refers to Federal Standard 205. My car is a RHD S4 registered in 1971 although probably built somewhat earlier.
Triplex windscreen sticker 002.jpg and

Edit:-
Not sure if it's PC to post this here but the sticker is available....... http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/19076520 ... pla&crdt=0 .....no connection etc etc.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:12 am

Well here is what I have, not sure the sticker on the regulator is original as I recall changing it many years ago but think I remember the original had a sticker like the boot Negative Earth sticker although the car now has an alternator.
I'm almost sure that the boot "negative earth" and the "running in" stickers are original.
Attachments
RUNNING IN.JPG and
NEG GROUND BOOT LID.JPG and
REGULATOR.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:40 am

Earlier cars had a 'running in' sticker on the speedometer, about 2cm by 1 cm, towards the bottom of the dial.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:58 am

...and of course the seat belt sticker
Attachments
SEAT BELT.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Can confirm, your negative earth boot sticker is original and 'correct' Brian.

My pics, if they come out, also show a Girling sticker that went on the servo, and an original Maserati Air Horns sticker.

I am not convinced that the Girling sticker is 100% 'correct', love that word, as it is a vinyl sticker, and I thought the sticker on the servo was made of paper.

The negative earth sticker is made of an aluminium type foil, and is a very sticky sticker :lol:
If you went to your local Lotus dealer, back in the day, they would tear you off a strip, if you see what I mean!

All these stickers have come from my fetish collection Alan, see CYLINDER HEAD THREAD, but as you are not an 'original' man, they will not interest you :D

Leslie

PS. I was not making any reference to your manhood Al.

PPS. My first post with a picture, and now that I know how, be afraid, be very afraid.
Attachments
Imported Photos 02374.JPG and
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:04 pm

There has been some "discussion" over whether it is legal to reproduce copyrighted logo's, would this apply if I found a nice image of the TRIPLEX sticker and copied it to affix to a genuine Triplex windscreen on my car because the original sticker was missing or badly damaged?

Anyway, here's an original sticker in my car

original sticker.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:18 pm

512BB wrote:Can confirm, your negative earth boot sticker is original and 'correct' Brian.

My pics, if they come out, also show a Girling sticker that went on the servo, and an original Maserati Air Horns sticker.

I am not convinced that the Girling sticker is 100% 'correct', love that word, as it is a vinyl sticker, and I thought the sticker on the servo was made of paper.

The negative earth sticker is made of an aluminium type foil, and is a very sticky sticker :lol:
If you went to your local Lotus dealer, back in the day, they would tear you off a strip, if you see what I mean!

All these stickers have come from my fetish collection Alan, see CYLINDER HEAD THREAD, but as you are not an 'original' man, they will not interest you :D

Leslie

PS. I was not making any reference to your manhood Al.

PPS. My first post with a picture, and now that I know how, be afraid, be very afraid.

Leslie,
I do like originality, but only on other peoples cars. I was too nervous to PM you about your "collection in the cellar" frankly I was a bit worried about exactly what sort of collection it was :shock:

Do keep up the good work with the pictures, did you read my PM sent in 2009 explaining how to do this?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:40 pm

I did read your PM back in 2009 Al, but it has taken me this long to decipher what you were saying :lol: and I did feel bad about not thanking you for taking the time. You must have thought I was a rude boy, even larger smiley.

In the end, when playing about with my steam driven camera, I found a button marked 'frame or picture size'. So I pressed that a few times, and hey presto, I can upload pics.

Good init. Safe. Cool. And whatever else they say today.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:09 pm

512BB wrote:Can confirm, your negative earth boot sticker is original and 'correct' Brian.

Thanks for the conformation Leslie, congratulations on your newly acquired photographic skills and I'm looking forward to these "be very afraid pictures" :lol: :lol:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:45 pm

trw99 wrote:Lots of Sprints had the Gold Leaf Lotus windscreen sticker fitted in the top near side (UK) corner.

Tim

Anyone have a picture of it?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:14 pm

MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Oh, the only thing I forgot to mention Brian, is that your NE sticker is in the wrong place I believe. It should be stuck on to the carpet, on the left hand side of the car, just forward of the battery, at about the same level of the battery terminals.

I have a car with the original carpets and sticker, as it left the factory. I will take a picture, with the aformentioned new found skills, over the next couple of days, and post. So long as nobody beats me to it. Their car, not mine!

Types26/36 wrote:
I'm looking forward to these "be very afraid pictures

You will have to come over Brian for a bit of lunch, with the usual suspects, and have a look. No biltong on the menu though, sorry.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:13 pm

I've had a couple of very late Plus 2 cars with the 'Negative Earth' sticker still in place. One had its sticker on the carpet (seemed to be welded on) just over the battery, and the other had it on the inside bootlid. I put it down to the final assembly guys putting it where they liked!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:59 am

Dash blanking plate (reverse) when no factory radio fitted reads "Important" "Before fitting a radio to this car, a Lotus Elan Radio Suppression kit must be fitted in order to reduce ignition interference to a minimal level" "Lotus Part No. S217" "Lotus Cars Limited"
Attachments
IMG_0012.JPG and
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: