Lotus Elan

Elan + 2 Windscreen Seal (takes chrome)

PostPost by: Capri335 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:01 am

Hi guys (and gals)
This post is to let you know that as the + 2 uses the same windscreen as the Ford Consul Capri, these seals are available through the FCCOC https://www.fccoc.org.uk/spares-home/sp ... classic-2/
I have these made in Australia, and have done for 25 years. The seals have the corners molded into them for the lower corners. Also if anyone has chrome needs replacing there is always plenty within the FCCOC members. We don't bite! You can also join us on Facebook, I run the worldwide page. I also have other seals made and I am happy to help if you need any made, but here quantity is the key. Moulds are expensive, and they need to be amortised over a run (or two). I supply the front door vent window seals for the Consul Capri as well.

Cheers

John
Capri335
New-tral

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:03 am

Why not offer them to Paul Matty Sportscars and Kelsport over here in the UK and maybe Dave Bean Engineering and R Dent in the USA? I’m sure they’d be pleased to become suppliers.
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:45 pm

There is a difference in the rubber molding between that for a steel bodied car, and that for a fiberglass bodied car. The gap that fits over the pinch weld in a steel bodied car is much narrower than for a fiber glass body. Depending on the fiberglass layup, in order to get a proper fit, the wider gap may be required. Interestingly enough, the overall design of the molding fits a large number of vehicles. My old 78 Chevy crew cab dually used the same design and chrome locking strip. My S2 Elan, Sabra GT and Elva Coupe all use the wider gap style, and the same locking strip as my old Chevy. The front and rear glass on the Sabra and the Elva use the same rubber.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Tread softly in the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:06 pm

Can you clarify if this seal will work with an infill strip ?

I have a good condition Ford corsair screen seal with infill,etc
The infill has a wider/flatter profile than the rear screen infill, but is extremely close to what came off my car.('68 +2). [I can post a picture, but does this sound like the correct item]
The seal seems to have a near identical profile to the seal that came off my +2 ('68) - although I don't know for sure if that was the OE seal (the car was ~20yrs old when dismantled)..
I haven't attempted to fit it, so don't know if it's anything like the right size.. any thoughts ?
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: