Air Filter Postion

PostPost by: grahamc » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:53 am

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can direct me to a thread or folder that would show some pictures of the correct mounting position for the original air filter (two horn, pancake style) found in an S4.

In a related vein, when looking at any brochure photos of the front of an Elan (again S4 vintage) from a lower perspective (looking at the front of the car from below the bumper perspective, there are two bolts and nuts that are on the under-curve below the bumper. There is one on either side of the front grill. They seem to be bolting something inside the engine bay to the bodywork. These bolts and nuts (and even the holes in the bodywork) are missing on my S4 and I can't seem to see them in either Brian's book or the parts manual. Any thoughts on what these are for?

Thanks, Chris
grahamc
New-tral

PostPost by: Leo Leentvaar » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:41 am

There you go mate, I was in a similar position as you are about 2 years ago.
I believe the filter designation was KN57-0082 @ ?62,-- and a hot air hose from an Austin Healey with part no. AH 3.25 (the one you use for the air heater intake hose) @ ? 35,--
Attachments
Intake_Filter.jpg and
1971 Sprint DHC
Leo Leentvaar
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:50 am

Originally the S4 has an air box over the carbs with a pipe leading to a filter housing in the nose.

The bolts you can see under the bumper hold the vacuum pod in place for the headlights.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan71 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:00 am

The original air filter position.

Alan
Attachments
cutaway.jpg and
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:53 am

alan71 wrote:The original air filter position.

Alan

Yes that's it.... perfectly positioned to obstruct air flow to the rad. :wink:

I do believe that a common, early upgrade was to rotate it 90 degrees to assist cooling. I had done this with mine, before changing to a K/N filter.

Vizard's book had a comment or two on minor changes to the "pancake" to improve performance as well.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:52 am

Pics
Attachments
AIR CLEANER MOUNTING 002 (Copy).JPG and
AIR CLEANER MOUNTING 005 (Copy).JPG and
AIR CLEANER MOUNTING 006 (Copy).JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:15 pm

The original postion at least in the S4 was for the airfilter to be turned more so the intake horns pointed almost directly to the radiator compared to the drawing posted previously. Maybe around 15 to 20 degrees off directly fore aft to aid the fit of the air duct to the cleaner so it did not need to make a full right angle turn. I am sure the guy on the Lotus assembly line just drill the holes roughly to fit so no presice location

You could see 4 bolts under the nose - 2 that located the vacuum pods and two that located the front and rear mount of the air cleaner.

Unfortunately ( for your question) when I rebuilt my car I glassed over the air cleaner holes and made a frame that fits in the nose to carry the air cleaner, horns, number plate, front tow hook and driving lights mounted inside the grill

Air cleaner replaced by foam socks on the carbs for competition use and number plate only fitted if driving on the road and driving lights gone agan to save weight but frame remains still.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:53 pm

Chris,

If you're looking for originality, here it is.
Attachments
DSC01629.JPG and
Can you believe I actually painted it?
DSC01625.JPG and
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: grahamc » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:58 am

Wow,
once again, the time and effort that people have put into answering a relatively inconsequential question has left me speechless (in a positive way!). Thanks for all the responses. Particularly, thank-you to Brian for the great pictures. Of course I can only sit and envy Rohan's solution to problem of the cluttered front bonnet area (build something better!). Now I just have to spend the time getting it all sorted out (what else is new).
Thanks again, Chris G.
grahamc
New-tral

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:59 am

Chris,
Look in the photos section of this site, fifth set of photos or http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lotuselan ... 6/pic/list
Colin.

grahamc wrote:Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can direct me to a thread or folder that would show some pictures of the correct mounting position for the original air filter (two horn, pancake style) found in an S4.

In a related vein, when looking at any brochure photos of the front of an Elan (again S4 vintage) from a lower perspective (looking at the front of the car from below the bumper perspective, there are two bolts and nuts that are on the under-curve below the bumper. There is one on either side of the front grill. They seem to be bolting something inside the engine bay to the bodywork. These bolts and nuts (and even the holes in the bodywork) are missing on my S4 and I can't seem to see them in either Brian's book or the parts manual. Any thoughts on what these are for?

Thanks, Chris
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: umbyfer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:48 am

Hello Frank,

My elena is federal as yours with only one central vacuum bowl for headlamp.
I need to know the exact position where it is screw the bottole and the bowl.

Are you able to send some pictures?

Thank you,

Umberto
elan 7108000193K
modena - italy
Umberto Ferrari
Modena - Italy
Elan Sprint 7108000193K
Elite SII #1319
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:11 pm

Umberto,

I took those pictures just prior to removing the vacuum headlight system and replacing it with an electric motor system, so your question comes just a little late. Sorry for my late response.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: