Brakes binding

PostPost by: tyasman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:05 pm

Can anyone help. Occasionally when pulling up to a stop, my brakes bind - ie the pads don't release from the disk. I can drive through it and it clears after about 50 yards, but I'm worried it might develop into something worse- and I've got a continental trip this summer. It's annoying rather than serious at the moment. It doesn't happen all the time, as I've been out today in the little car and no sign of the brakes binding at all
Thanks for any suggestions
tyasman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:52 pm

It' probably the spring missing from the servo

elan-plus-f13/brakes-jamming-t20476.html

or this..with pictures...
elan-plus-f13/servo-t12929.html

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:25 pm

Could be rusty pistons inside the caliper? Rebuilt calipers are not too expensive and are less hassle than replacing pistons and seals on a seised unit.

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Or.....as Sean Murray described in this posting...(elan-archive-f16/sticking-brake-servo-t6820.html) the master cylinder & pedal box may be contributing.

Do you still have a servo? Girling? Lockheed? Is it a recent problem? Any work done recently? Change of fluid, maybe?

Good luck - rd
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:30 pm

elan-f14/spongy-brakes-advice-needed-please-t20836.html

Just noticed your previous posting. Did you get it sorted or are they now both spongey & binding?

Cheers - rd
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tyasman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Sponginess sorted, now I've got the binding problem. Pistons cleaned and lubricated. Perhaps a complete rebuild is needed?
tyasman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:38 pm

depending on which servo....id check that first (if its a lockheed)
it has been know to be either at the wrong angle or that the spring is incorrect (john clegg has a fix for this)........
if its the calipers then it might be a rebuild........do you still have the dust shields??...if not it could be one of the causes....
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:59 pm

With mine it was the servo. Eventually seized solid as soon as I started the engine. I removed it and took the opportunity to replace the brake m/c with a tandem AP unit and Green Stuff front pads. Quite happy with the result though I had to adjust to the non-assisted brake feel at first.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:19 pm

"Sponginess sorted, now I've got the binding problem"

Hi Guys,

Could there be a link here? In sorting the sponginess, could something has been done to cause a bind. Seen references on here about flexi-brake hose & brake fluid compatibilty. Could the hoses be internally collapsing preventing fluid return?

Cheers - rd (Remote diagnosis? NHS Direct eat your heart out!)
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tonyw » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:12 am

If my memory serves me correctly the master cylinder is a "center" valve type which if the center valve is not doing its job it will hold pressure for a while so if binding persists just slacken off the brake pipe from the master cylinder when the brakes are binding and see if there is still pressure (there should not be), if there is overhaul or replace your brake master cylinder.

Tonyw
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: FOX5D » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:34 pm

I had a really annoying sticking brake problem on my S4 (which had been restored by a previous owner). The bracket that holds the right hand end of the pedal shaft had not been fitted at right angles to the shaft! As a result, when the clutch was depressed, like you do when coming to a halt, and hold the brake at the same time, the brake pedal failed to come back up. The shaft was binding in its holding brackets.

I took one of the spacing washers out of the bracket fitment, thereby making it vertical as it should have been, and the problem was solved straight away.

The annoying bit was the the time and expense I incurred messing about with the servo, master cylinder etc-correct diagnosis is the difficult bit for us amateurs I guess!

I have put this up in case some other unsuspecting owner might be suffering the same problem.

All the best

Jim
Always grateful for advice.
FOX5D
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: