Dash mounting question

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:37 pm

Should the dash mounting screw between the gauges (s/column) have a sleeve, all of the other mounting points are sleeved but the column mounting does not have it and the hole is not drilled to accept one.
Its no big deal to make and fit one unless there is a specific reason why it has been made without one.
Attachments
S3 DASH MOUNTING 2.JPG and
S3 DASH MOUNTING 1.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:15 am

Hi Brian,
No insert in that hole on my dash either. Maybe it's because that screw just secures the steering column support bracket to the dash - unlike all the others which secure the dash to the body and are therefore subject to more stress.

Regards,
Attachments
Dash bolt hole 003.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:13 pm

oldelanman wrote: Maybe it's because that screw just secures the steering column support bracket to the dash - unlike all the others which secure the dash to the body and are therefore subject to more stress.

Thanks Roger, I don't think my S2 has the sleeve as well but I would have thought that mounting point would be more stressed/loaded then the other mounting points,
1. Forces are transferred into it when getting in and out of the car (hanging onto the s/wheel)
2. Turning the steering wheel particularly at slow speed (parking) and probably under braking as well......but Hay-Ho what do I know....Colin knew more then I'll ever know :roll:
As no one has come up with a negative for fitting one I might just make and fit one despite the added weight :lol:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:11 am

"Thanks Roger, I don't think my S2 has the sleeve as well but I would have thought that mounting point would be more stressed/loaded then the other mounting points,
1. Forces are transferred into it when getting in and out of the car (hanging onto the s/wheel)
2. Turning the steering wheel particularly at slow speed (parking) and probably under braking as well......but Hay-Ho what do I know....Colin knew more then I'll ever know
As no one has come up with a negative for fitting one I might just make and fit one despite the added weight"

I don't there will be any problem adding the sleeve, but I think Oldelanman has it right, the dash is an integral part of the frame / body construction and takes significant loads during suspension bump eliminating scuttle shake and stiffening up the top half of the body. I have no analysis to prove it, but I would imagine than these suspension induced loads are far greater than the loads you describe on the steering column.

I have an original dash in my elan that looks like a stress diagram from a textbook - stress cracks start at the corners of the various holes and spread across the dash.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:51 am

My reasoning behind fitting the sleeve are that I have seen quite a few Elans that have become loose at that point, noticeable when lifting the column to check for steering column bush wear which left unchecked then can lead to damage to the dash.
Now obviously tightening the screw and compressing the wood can never be as "solid" as tightening onto a metal sleeve so while I am busy installing the dash I thought I may as well just add a sleeve.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:46 am

Another thought..........
I don't know if they are all the same but on my car the column mounting bracket top fixing hole is slotted - as though to allow adjustment, although I can't see why that would be necessary - and I suspect that an insert in the dash, if it was the same as used for the other fixings, would tend to push through it. It would either need to be top hat shaped or have a washer between the dash and the bracket. Maybe that's why one wasn't fitted originally - avoids a unique insert which would inevitably get fitted in the wrong hole on assembly and/or an additional washer ??

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:56 am

Hi Brian

I think that Lotus used a 5/16 screw, nut and lock washer. My upgrade is a 5/16 x 18 nyloc nut to replace the spring lock washer and plane hex nut. I think the spring lock washer with wood with heat, humidity and cooling causes the loosening that you have seen. I think a sleeve is a mod but my nylocs can't be seen till your in deeper than you are now and don't loosen up.

Please start a (One) topic on the restoration of this Coupe over in the "Elan gallery". It would be nice to follow along and see what is being done. Most un-restored look similar and restored Elans all look alike when your color blind. The best photos are taken during the restoration, don't waste the opportunity.

Know what I mean?

p-a
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi PA/Roger, I made and fitted a sleeve with a slight top-hat to rest on the slotted mounting (as described by Roger) so the sleeve will not slip into the elongated hole, like Roger I also don't know why that mounting is elongated (sideways) maybe for some adjustment when used in a Triumph?

piss-ant wrote:Please start a (One) topic on the restoration of this Coupe over in the "Elan gallery". It would be nice to follow along and see what is being done.

I don't think its really worth starting a photo thread as it is not a complete restoration, it had a lot of money spent on it in 2001/2 including a reconditioned chassis, new shocks,calipers,master cyls,servo,brake pipes,discs,wishbones,ball joints,ss exhaust,tyres,dashboard,crash pad,carpets,windscreen,respray,wheel spinners,engine & gearbox overhauled,new distributor,alternator, converted to negative earth but with some bad wiring.
The interior was not put together very well although the mechanical side is not too bad, it was used for about 4000miles then "neglected" for the next eight or nine years until I bought it a couple of months ago. It needs a fuel tank and I have ordered one from Andy Wiltshire,the doors/panels,wiring and a few other odds & sods need sorting and the spacer between bellhousing and engine has been left out but generally its not a major project just a bit time consuming.
The respray is not the best but with a bit of TLC it will look OK as I am not looking to make it a concours car.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:52 am

Just coming to this from another thread...

I doubt that the dash plays much of a role in body stress as there are too many holes in it in the wrong places - But you never know with lotus!

There is undoubtedly some body movement and this would cause fretting in plain wood. Also the mounting holes are close to the edge of the dash so bushing them would prevent the thin bit from breaking and reduce damage from over tightening. On the other hand the steering loads are mostly through the coupling and metal bracket half way up the column, while the hole in question is in the middle of the wood rather than at the edge.

I'd no sooner suggest that one uses the steering wheel as an aid to getting in or out than I would lean on an open door... especially in a Lotus!

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: