Elan seats

PostPost by: bleumouton » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:59 am

Has anyone seen seats like these in a Sprint? The seller claims these were an option in the North American market. The wording is: "John Player Team Lotus" No one I've spoken to can confirm that to be the case and most say it's nonsense. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks
Attachments
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint P1000285Copy.jpg
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint P1000285Copy.jpg (30.08 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
bleumouton
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:14 am

Bonjour, thanks for an interesting inquiry.
I worked at a Lotus dealership in Ohio "back then" and we sold quite a few JPS Europas. The seats pictured would not have fit properly in a Europa. I have never seen seats like those but that doesn't mean doodley, Lotus may have produced them for Elans, but I doubt it, especially for a lime green Sprint.
Maybe they're from a JPS Lotus (not Elan) +2s.

I can hardly wait to see where this subject goes...

Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:19 am

no way --the Europa seat is totally different from the Elan in rake and height and width . I have an Elan and a Europa in the garage ,
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:08 am

I have seen those exact seats about 20 years ago on a S4 Elan. The seats are Elan standard Federal seats for the US market from 68 and onwards. The seats and carpets had those JPS logos on them. The owner told me he had a upholstery place in California redo the interior and they added the logos. Definitely not factory. Looks cool though :D
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 am

In 1969 all U.S. cars sold were required to have head rests to help prevent whip lash, I believe Lotus piled up a number of 1968 cars to get around this regulation. They may have gotten a waiver for a bit, I don't know but at some point in time they did comply with the law and that may have been as late as 1970 (a guess) and this is the seat that they came up with.
Elan seats with integral head rests.JPG and

The John Player part is unknown to me as I was not involved nor did I care much then, I was still riding a ten speed bicycle. Anyway that style of seat did make here in Elans and the above photo shows a the pair I have.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bleumouton » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:22 am

Thanks guys, for the input...I've communicated with Tim Wilkes in the UK on these as well and so will see what he may know. Will keep you posted!

Ciao for now
bleumouton
New-tral

PostPost by: adigra » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:16 pm

As others have pointed out, they are regular "safety" federal seats that someone has had re-trimmed with the piping and the writing.

JPS livery started in '72, so it would correspond with a Sprint, but I don't think the factory offered anything quite as elaborate as seat embroidery at the time.

Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bleumouton » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Heard back from Tim Wilkes:
"The Federal Sprint did have seats with an integrated headrest. However they were never fitted with leather or the cloth JPS inserts at the factory. They are tricky to find so I would either leave them as they are or get a correct vinyl recover kit from Susan Miller or Dave Bean."

So, it looks like everyone's correct on the John Player wording...If I get the car I may just stitch over the JPS wording with "Colin Chapman Sat Here"!!!
bleumouton
New-tral

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:20 pm

bleumouton wrote:Heard back from Tim Wilkes:
"The Federal Sprint did have seats with an integrated headrest. However they were never fitted with leather or the cloth JPS inserts at the factory. They are tricky to find so I would either leave them as they are or get a correct vinyl recover kit from Susan Miller or Dave Bean."

So, it looks like everyone's correct on the John Player wording...If I get the car I may just stitch over the JPS wording with "Colin Chapman Sat Here"!!!

I was interested in this car at a prior vendor last year, at the time the paperwork (registration) & import documents were missing, so make sure you have everything lined up.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi Eric,
I think you're assumption is correct on the origin of these federal seats as i've got a pair with the headrest built-in from a Plus 2. (not fitted and still undecided)
I quite like them but they're missing the JPS logo :lol: now what :cry:

By the way, on another topic, I just picked up this month's Classic and Sports Car magazine which has a 10 page feature regarding the Lotus Elan's 50th year...The Front page title is "Best sports car ever" ...couldn't agree more :D

Gino
Milano
Italy

S3 Coup? 1965
S3 Coup? 1967
S2 Roadster 1965
Plus 2 1968
1964 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coupe
1968 Elan S4 Coupe
1969 Elan +2