Elan S3 S/E

PostPost by: PeeVee » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:30 am

I 'd like to know what the S/E version includes over and above the standard S3. I believe one is a more powerful engine. Is the S/E more valuable? Can the standard be upgraded to match?
Also, is the standard Special Safety version of any special value?
Thanks

Peter
PeeVee
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:55 am

From memory, the following are the differences:

Engine...different cams, carbs re-jetted, fabricated exhaust manifold rather than cast.

Knock-on wheels

Chrome strip along sill

Front wing indicator repeaters

Boot carpet rather than ruberised mat

3.55 : 1 rather than 3.77 : 1 diff ratio

S/E badges on side of front wings.

I don't think that values are affected too much, if at all, as most cars now have the knock-on wheels and S/E spec engines anyway. There are many other, far more important, factors concerning condition and provenance that influence the value and desirability of any individual car. As a rule, the more original a car, the more value it has.

The Super Safety is a rare car here in the UK, but again, I'm doubtful that it would add anything to the value of the car, but may well make it more desirable to the keen collector if it was in original condition.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:51 pm

Mark
I think IIRC that they also had a servo for the brakes, but I agree with everything else you have said about price etc

All the best

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:02 pm

You're absolutely right, Adam...that was one of the more important differences.... and with the servo came harder pads.

I've just looked at an old brochure and there are a couple more:
Safety Belts
Leather covered steering wheel
Radial ply tyres (!)
Chrome rim embellishers

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotuseuropabrit » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:51 am

I also believe the S3 S/E came with a close ratio 4 speed gearbox, mine certainly did. First was rather a pain when driving in traffic but great for blowing off other cars from the lights.
Regards,
Ray
lotuseuropabrit
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:28 am

lotuseuropabrit wrote:I also believe the S3 S/E came with a close ratio 4 speed gearbox, mine certainly did. First was rather a pain when driving in traffic but great for blowing off other cars from the lights.
Regards,
Ray

Hi Ray
I am not sure about the S3 or SE for that matter, but a friend of mine gave me some Elan brochures and one of them for the S2 had the ultra close box as a $50 option from Lotus East in N.Y.
If you want to swap that painful CR gearbox out for a very nice semi-close box, I can help you out...

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:53 pm

I think the SE had the close-ratio box but not the 3.55 diff, that being a special-order item. But hey, who knows? :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:24 am

We have Lotus "Standardization" to thank here.

The earlier cars had 145X13 tires (first cars with 5.2X13), 3.9 differential, and the close ratio transmission.

This was dodgy once off the back roads. Many people with modified engines and no rev limiters quickly had engine failures.

So, it seems that the SE had 155X13 tires, 3.55 differential, and the wide ratio transmission, which was becomming available from Ford. This cut down on engine failures, since it was relatively more difficult to exceed 7000 rpm with this setup (just shy of 130 mph on 115 advertised hp)

However, during this period, it was possible to order the car in a variety of configurations, so it was possible to get the 3.55 differential with the CR transmission. There are some who consider this the optimum touring combination, provided you didn't have to start up a steep hill fully loaded.

Later, Lotus seems to have used the 155X13 tires, 3.77 differential, and wide ratio transmission as a relatively standard combination. It may have still been possible to special order the car with 3.9 or 3.55 differential and/or the CR transmission, at least for some time. It is not completely clear, but the 2000E transmission may have some subtle internal changes that makes it more difficult to fit the early CR components. The Dave Bean catalog goes into this in some detail.

I know that when I converted from wide ratio to CR, the mechanic had to do some fiddling and machining to get every thing to work.

I would hope that some of our members with closer ties to the factory during the period could shed more light on the subject. At the current time, unless you have the original build sheet for the car, whether you have 3.9, 3.77, 3.55, CR, or wide ratio is probably due to the POs predilictions if not one of the standard combinations.

David
1968 36/7988 (3.55 CR, not original)
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: