engine mounts

PostPost by: paul356 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:51 pm

Folks,

I've just put the engine back in my 71 S4.

Before I took it out I thought the engine looked 'drunk' (ie not square) in the engine bay and assumed someone had used an engine mount which was wrong for the car.

However, now I've put it back together I have found that the engine still looks drunk in the hole and oddly, there are spacers for the engine mount on one side (the left and it is a RHD car) but not the other.

Is there any chance one of you kind Lotus owners out there could post a pic of the engine bay and detail of the mounts or tell me if this all sounds normal?

I keep meaning to get a manual but haven't quite got round to it (having now had engine, dif, suspension, fuel tank etc out I'm starting to wish I'd got one sooner!).

Cheers

Paul
paul356
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:04 pm

Hi. Some jpgs of the engine from the parts list showing the mountings etc.

Hope these help.

Sean.

OOOppps. Sorry - obviously pages from the +2 manual will not help - I've deleted them - thought I was in the +2 section. Bit of a sleepy senior moment there. Hope you manage to sort out your problems. Although having said that they're probably not that different.

All the best.

Sean.
Last edited by alaric on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi Paul
The spacers are 1.125 inches long and belong only on the left hand side (exhaust side) to give the exhaust some clearence as it passes the chassis. If its a weber head engine the intake will be raised a little higher so the carbs clear the top of the foot box on the right side. So there you have it, a cocked up drunken engine that fits just fine...

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:35 am

Tilted engines and ledger books, all normal for Lotus. Is yours tilted and slanted?
Dodge's best engine = slant six. aka tilt six.
(And what about those slanted drive shafts on early Lotus open wheel cars, just to avoid that invasive driver bum.)
There is a lot of information in the archives here concerning motor mounts, if you can post a picture showing your tilt/slant angle it could help. Are your carbs on the high side? Is the engine "true" front to rear in the engine bay?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: