Front Bumper Removal

PostPost by: r.agnew » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:17 pm

What holds on the front bumper? I removed the 2 (mismatched) bolts at both ends, but it seems well glued on in the middle. I recall reading somewhere that they were originally held on with body filler. Is this true? When I try to pull either side out from the body, they are now loose, but I can hear(and feel) the beginnings of that dreaded fibreglass crackling sound at the centre of the bumper. Same thing happens when I try a little prising with my genuine Lotus screwdriver so I've left it well enough alone for the moment. Is there a captive bolt I don't know about?

Rob
'71 Sprint
r.agnew
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:33 pm

Rob, it is held on with just the 2 bolts. Sounds like your previous owner wanted to secure the middle as well with a dollop of mastic or something similar. Inside the bumper it is usually filled with filller foam, then the foam shaped to give a snug fit. If you gently pry the bumper away, you may just leave a lump of foam on the car...easy to sort. If the worst comes to the worst, a new bumper is not expensive.

When prying, sacrifice the bumper and not the nose of the car!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:23 pm

WHOO! do not force it! if it is a Sprint it has another bolt in the centre from the inside (see pic)
I agree with Mark the earlier cars only have two bolts as my S2 does but check inside the nose.
Attachments
bumper bolt.JPG and
Last edited by types26/36 on Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:21 pm

Oopps :oops:
I didn't spot the '71 Sprint' bit. Just spent an hour this morning getting the bumper off my S4 (2 bolts!) and fitting up a new one, as the old one didn't fit well. Strangely, my S2 one didn't fit well either, and I just tried swapping them over and...bingo...they both fit (each other) perfectly now. So with '2 bolts' firmly in mind...straight to print.

Rob, I hope you didn't rush out with crow bar to get the bumper off. :shock:
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:27 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:
I didn't spot the '71 Sprint' bit. Just spent an hour this morning getting the bumper off my S4 (2 bolts!)

I wonder if this is another way we can spot an authentic " Sprint" to an S4 Sprint or a copy ..........Tim..is it worth a note on your website?
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:16 pm

I don't think a 3 attachment point bumper is a sprint clue as my RHD converted S4 SE 7004 build has the center mount.

Gary

tough to get a good phote through the radiator

garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robcall » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:35 am

The central bolt fitting is seen on S4s on.
Most replacement bumpers are earlier versions without the flange/bobbin fixing point.
Nigel Robertson
robcall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:55 am

Did Lotus abandon the foam filling on S4s with the centre fixing, or do I have a replacement/repair/bodge-up :?:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: r.agnew » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:47 pm

Thanks all bumper now off. Matthew, no foam inside or even remnants of foam, so unless it's a replacement, which I doubt, it seems to be another case of 'added lightness'.

Rob
'71 Sprint
r.agnew
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: