gearbox dimensions

PostPost by: worzel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi

Can anybody assist with some technical info- basically I need the distance from the front of a 4 speed box to the point where the splined section begins on the input shaft- it's to make a comparison between 2 gearboxes to see if there might be a problem with clutch actuation.

2nd question- on the later engines eg sprint- how far into the spigot bearing does the nose of the input shaft fit?

Many thanks

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:36 pm

John

From the mating face to to end of the input shaft 8mm,to the start of the splines 42mm and to the bearing carrier surface 85mm.

John :wink:
Last edited by john.p.clegg on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:36 pm

John

And my needle roller bearing sits proud of the mating face by 26mm,so 18mm insertion?

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Ooops,and don't forget the thickness of the spacer plate...

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi

Thanks for the (very) quick responses - but- (always a but) I'm slightly confused probably because of the way I worded the enquiry.

The distance I need is from the front of the gearbox casing ie the face to which the bellhousing bolts but without the nosepiece fitted to where the splines begin (the distance where the splines end might be useful too now I come to think of it).

Plus either the depth of the spigot bearing or how far the nose of the input shaft feeds into the spigot bearing.

The reason why I need them- you've probably guessed- to play around with another box to check that the clutch will work and to determine if the end of the input shaft needs to be machined.

Sorry for any (inadvertent) confusion.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Sorry,ignore the above,I was working from the bellhousing/engine face not the bellhousing/gearbox face....BUT...if you take the depth of the bellhousing as 160mm (approx) can you not get your figures from that?

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi

Many thanks for the info posted- useful- now have to play around with the numbers.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: