Gearbox woes

PostPost by: frearther » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:38 pm

For the first time since 1989, I drove my Elan about a mile today. But not in reverse! Although the gearbox seemed to function well on the bench, it doesn't feel right, and I can't get reverse.

I know there's some clutch adjustment still to be done (low pedal), but there are two problems that I'd like to solve:
1. No reverse gear - no matter what I do, I can't select reverse. The best that I get is a sort of soft movement that goes in the right direction with the shifter, but it chooses a forward gear instead.
2. The 1-2 shift seems to have a bit of a dogleg in the shifter motion rather than a straight throw.

Any and all advice is welcome - please!
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:14 am

Hi Art

Try unscrewing the shifter retaining cap a couple of turns. When you pull up to engage reverse it may not be able to come up high enough to slip into the detent. If it works, cut some spacers out of gasket paper to hold it at the proper height.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:30 am

Good point, if I remember right, doesn't it say in the workshop manual you can trim a tiny bit off the nylon screw on gearsick holder cup bit?
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:33 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys. Gary, you seem to have hit on at least part of the problem. I couldn't lift the change lever high enough with the cup screwed all the way down. Part of the problem is that the (nameless) Lotus guy in N.H. who did the gearbox for me didn't include any gaskets under the cup. It was also a bear to remove.

The other part of the problem (although not yet tested) is that the little reverse gear lever that hangs down from the case was not aligned with the neutral "channel" in the box; so the lever wasn't engaging at all, as far as I can determine.

I'll test this in a little bit, but, first, does anyone know what material is used for the gasket under the cup?
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: