S4 Hood cover

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:22 pm

I thought it about time to tidy up the hood cover.
It doesn't fit well and the metal supporting bar on the front edge is placed on top of the cover, as below
I believe the front edge of the cover should lie over the bar, and then tuck under the lower edge to be squashed between the bar and the hood tray? If correct, the metal bar will no longer be visible, except when the cover is pulled forward and down to allow the frame and hood to be erected?
If so, I'll need a new hood cover. Who does good ones? I think this one was Chris Neil's 20 y ago. The fit ain't brill despite the wrong order of fitting. Paul Matty maybe, although I tend to get most stuff (mechanically) form Kelvedon.
Thanks, Graeme
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:33 pm

It may work better if fitted under the alloy strip. I have had 2 S4's and they were fitted under and you could not see the alloy brace when in place. If you have no luck finding one I have a new spare that I never installed. I?m in the US and believe I bought it from the UK a few years back.
Yours looks in good condition, and will probably be ok if fitted correctly.

James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:35 pm

Graeme,
Your picture shows the hood cover fitted exactly the same as mine, I would suggest a new hood cover from Sue Miller would be a better fit than the one you have, or maybe it needs a bit of trimming and re-fitting.

You can see mine below (just about) from some pictures I took of my prototype wind deflector the other day.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:55 pm

661 wrote:I believe the front edge of the cover should lie over the bar, and then tuck under the lower edge to be squashed between the bar and the hood tray? If correct, the metal bar will no longer be visible, except when the cover is pulled forward and down to allow the frame and hood to be erected?

Yes it is fitted incorrectly. The cover should be fitted as you state above so that the aluminium strip is not visible. :wink:

As James has suggested, if you used the existing cover and fitted it correctly it may well get rid of the excess material and look quite neat. A quick wipe over with some vinyl polish and it would look peachy :)

If it is damaged or doesn't fit well when correct I bought mine from Susan Miller and was very pleased with the fit.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:02 pm

nebogipfel wrote:
661 wrote:I believe the front edge of the cover should lie over the bar, and then tuck under the lower edge to be squashed between the bar and the hood tray? If correct, the metal bar will no longer be visible, except when the cover is pulled forward and down to allow the frame and hood to be erected?

Yes it is fitted incorrectly. The cover should be fitted as you state above so that the aluminium strip is not visible. :wink:

As James has suggested, if you used the existing cover and fitted it correctly it may well get rid of the excess material and look quite neat. A quick wipe over with some vinyl polish and it would look peachy :)

If it is damaged or doesn't fit well when correct I bought mine from Susan Miller and was very pleased with the fit.

Hmmmm! So mines wrong as well then? I like it the way it is though.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:36 pm

I'm looking to replace mine as it has a couple of rips. I spoke to Miles a week or two ago & he said the latest ones he's seen weren't too good - but I'll see if Sue Miller has any. Anyone know the likely cost ?

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:41 pm

richardcox_lotus wrote: - but I'll see if Sue Miller has any. Anyone know the likely cost ?
Richard

Current list ?108 inc VAT :wink:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Thanks, that's really useful.
I'll contact Sue tomorrow.
If anyone can explain where the chrome end stops go, that would be helpful ( The bits that tuck over the carpet and door trim). I guess new hood cover just goes straight over the top of them and nothing tucks in underneath?
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:17 pm

661 wrote:Thanks, that's really useful.
I'll contact Sue tomorrow.
If anyone can explain where the chrome end stops go, that would be helpful ( The bits that tuck over the carpet and door trim). I guess new hood cover just goes straight over the top of them and nothing tucks in underneath?

You're welcome :wink:

If I remember correctly the end stops go over the top of the B post and the hood cover simply goes over the top of them to conceal them when the top is down.

I'm a bit vague because I've never bothered to fit them to my car, they were out of stock at the time and I haven't worried about them since.
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:47 pm

The reason the cover is a bad fit is because it is incorrectly assembled. When the cover is on as shown then the aluminium strip is covered by the cover. The cover is trapped between the aluminium, the rear carpet & the parcel shelf. The cover is attached by feeding up from below the aluminium & when in place it thus wraps around the aluminium from below & then goes reward to cover the hood & frame. I know this is correct as I still have the original hood cover & it is still attaced to the aluminium strip.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:38 pm

Work done, here's the finished product.
I'm pleased I did it as the original method looks cleaner
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:41 pm

661 wrote:Work done, here's the finished product.
I'm pleased I did it as the original method looks cleaner

Excellent job :wink:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:46 pm

Nice work, it's a vast improvement over your first picture. Is your hood under the cover or does it detach and go in the boot? I ask because I always struggle to fold mine neatly especially with the roll bar in the way.

Have you been through Tunbridge Wells in the last few weeks, my wife spotted a red Elan recently driving along Forest Road.

regards

Alan
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:14 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Nice work, it's a vast improvement over your first picture. Is your hood under the cover or does it detach and go in the boot? I ask because I always struggle to fold mine neatly especially with the roll bar in the way.

Have you been through Tunbridge Wells in the last few weeks, my wife spotted a red Elan recently driving along Forest Road.

regards

Alan

No, but I passed a pistachio Sprint going south through Five Ashes on Bank Holiday Monday???? Sadly I was in the family teutonic wagon that day

As for the hood, yes that is stowed under the cover, not in the boot. It was getting some rust marks on it from the hood frame so I took the opportunity to POR that too
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:21 pm

No, but I passed a pistachio Sprint going south through Five Ashes on Bank Holiday Monday???? Sadly I was in the family teutonic wagon that day

That was me and my wife going down to the coast for a very wet week!

Alan
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: