Installing Dash to Baby Elan - Following new loom installed.

PostPost by: nico506 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:28 pm

Hi all,

I am now nearing completion of the installing the dash to my Elan S3 DHC 1968 and have a couple of queries.

I have a voltage stabiliser unit fitted and the wiring diagram shows it fitted to the back of the tachometer but I have no free connections other than earth and very small diameter stud with two tabs on either side.

Can any one shed light on this?

Secondly I am trying to secure the dash up against the bottom fxing plate that is secured to the central spine tunnel in front of the gearshift.
Although I have made sure the space is clear from wiring, switches etc -= I cannot seem to get the dash back far enough.

Any tips on this please as I have moved the glove box over a touch to clear the heater, but this is fine.

Thanks in advance.

Nico
nico506
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:10 pm

nico wrote:I have a voltage stabiliser unit fitted and the wiring diagram shows it fitted to the back of the tachometer but I have no free connections other than earth and very small diameter stud with two tabs on either side.

Nico,

The tachometer has nothing to do with the voltage stabilizer electronically. It's just a convenient place to mount it. 12V goes into it and the stabilized voltage goes out. The stabilizer must be grounded and this is accomplished by mounting it on the grounded tachometer. On my car, the only thing that needs voltage stabilization is the fuel gauge. As I moved the guage to the other side of the radio, I moved the voltage stabilizer over there also.

You must have an extra green 12V wire with a female connector hanging around near the tachometer and there must be another green wire that goes from the stabilizer to the fuel gauge. The stabilizer should have two small rivets with two tabs on either side of each one. As I recall, one of these rivets has the letter "B" next to it signifying that it is 12V from the battery. The other one should have the letter "I" next to it signifying that it powers the instruments.

Having two tabs next to the "B" allows you to use it as a jumper. The green wire that powers the tachometer can instead be connected to one of the "B" tabs and then a small green wire can connect to the other "B" tab and jumped to the tachometer. Do you have a small green jumper wire laying around somewhere? The second tab next to the "I" allows you to send stabilized power to other instruments that need stabilized power, such as an electonic temperature gauge for example. Hope this helps.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:53 pm

Hey Nico, sound like you are a week or so ahead of me!
Keep asking the questions - they all help me!

By the way, where are you located?
I am in Berkshire (UK)
Regards
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:16 pm

Hi Nico,
I would fit spacers /washers between dash and all mounting points so as to cause no untoward stress across the dash - don't just try and bolt it up.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: