Revised Chrome bumper strip...??

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:34 am

In another thread I wrote the following:

"WRT the chrome strip...a fairly recent post mentioned a new type that was better & easier to get to fit right (Can't find the post right now :( ) I THINK Paul Matty was referred to, or it may have been Susan Miller..."

Despite searching with gusto, I still can't find it.

Does anyone remember the post? Did I dream it? (If so, apologies to "GreekS1)
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:37 am

Richard

It was me and it is Paul Matty who has them. He was showing them off alongside his replacement LED instrument lighting at Donington.

The strip only takes 10 mins to pop onto the front bumper, no need to mess around with a hair dryer or washing up liquid. Apparently he gets them made up by the same firm that make modern Audi's trim strips.

If he has run out of them already, I saw Susan Miller buying half a dozen off Paul!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:06 pm

Phew...thankyou Tim,

(I was beginning to be feel like many other guys on here...questioning my sanity! :wink: :) )
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:41 pm

Tim, can you provide some details on the LED instrument light kit you mentioned? I know some folks have done this conversion, but it would be great to source an easy to install kit for the Elan or Plus 2. Does Paul Matty's kit require changing the light sockets to a BA base to fit commonly available LED's, or does it use the stock screw base sockets? I would be OK with incandesent bulbs of higher wattage as an option, but having difficulty selecting sockets that fit the large and small instrument holes correctly. Any help appreciated.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:41 pm

stugilmour wrote:Tim, can you provide some details on the LED instrument light kit you mentioned? I know some folks have done this conversion, but it would be great to source an easy to install kit for the Elan or Plus 2. Does Paul Matty's kit require changing the light sockets to a BA base to fit commonly available LED's, or does it use the stock screw base sockets? I would be OK with incandesent bulbs of higher wattage as an option, but having difficulty selecting sockets that fit the large and small instrument holes correctly. Any help appreciated.

Oooh yes me too please, I didn't see those lights on Matty's stand & they would be great for my slowly fading eyes.
A kit would be a great alternative to searching the internet for all the needed bits.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:18 am

Paul had a small black box which you looked into through a narrow slit. First he switched on a speedo with original instrument lighting. Then he switched on anther speedo with his LED conversion, which of course was much brighter and sharper.

My understanding is that his kit merely replaces the existing bulb and holder. Best ask him for the details though.

It's a grand idea especially if your eyes are going a bit. However, it's not original is it now!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:48 am

Aha! And I thought that black box was some sort of pi55take & didn't trust myself to take a peek :oops:

Was there any indication of how much the kits cost?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:38 am

Sorry John, I didn't ask Paul

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:49 am

trw99 wrote:Sorry John, I didn't ask Paul

Tim

O.K. Thanks Tim

I'll make inquiries directly in the due course of time.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: