C N Sprint

PostPost by: Brian Walton » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:53 am

Way back in 87 Sprint prices were heading over 10K. So Christopher Neil brought out their C N Sprint. How many were built. How many "suddenly" became Lotus Elan Sprints.

with interest.

Brian
Brian Walton
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:04 am

Brian,

I remember them at the time and have seen a couple over the years ...... the ones I saw were pretty horrible :shock:

I think you'd have to spend a lot of money to turn a CN Sprint into anything resembling a real Elan.

Not really suitable material for LotusElan.net :D
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mcclelland » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:11 pm

Hi Brian,

I also remember them as I lived close to Chris Neils, they also had one on show in kit form and had another one built up with a Ford XR3 engine in it.
In the midle of this year I was looking for a S4 and went to see a car in Lincs, it was white with gold bumbers and wheels. It took only a few minutes to realise it was a Chris Neil kit and I walked away, but it later appeared on Ebay and I think was sold on the second attempt.
George...
George McC.
1968 S4 Elan dhc.(now sold)
1973 Plus2 S130/5
1994 Elan M100 S2
mcclelland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mrob » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:31 pm

mcclelland wrote:
I also remember them as I lived close to Chris Neils, they also had one on show in kit form and had another one built up with a Ford XR3 engine in it.
In the midle of this year I was looking for a S4 and went to see a car in Lincs, it was white with gold bumbers and wheels. It took only a few minutes to realise it was a Chris Neil kit and I walked away, but it later appeared on Ebay and I think was sold on the second attempt.
George...

How are they distinguished from the real thing?
Michael Robertson
64 Elan S1
mrob
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:02 pm

It depends on how much you spent....you could make exact replicas if you had the right bits! This sales sheet gives you the spec...

I wonder how the Spyder Plus 2 will be viewed in 10 years time...not the real deal?
Mark
Attachments
File0001a.jpg and
File0002a.jpg and
File0003a.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:21 pm

I like all the images of real Elans on the ad' first page :)

I suppose to be fair, if you spent enough money you could have built an Elan replica (then or now, of course).

The ones I saw were very much budget builds and apart from the shell and chassis bore very little resemblance to a real Elan.

You could argue that if a true replica is built then it should have value but something that isn't an Lotus Elan never will be.

The Spyder +2 is a different animal, it is not pretending to be a +2 but is an modernisation of the design.

What I do think is likely FWIW, as a result of Spyders efforts and the number of +2's which seem to be being broken for spares real +2's are likely to start realising their true value
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: