Steering column and handbrake grommets?

PostPost by: jimbo » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:28 pm

I've noticed that my car has two large holes in the drivers footwell where the steering column and the hand brake cable pass into the engine bay. Neither has a grommet or any form of blanking plate. What's the preferred solution for blocking them up to prevent fumes etc?

Also when replacing the Thackeray washers and o-rings I noticed there wasn't any form of gasket between the air box and the carbs (Webbers) ... is this normal?

Thanks,

James
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:52 am

The steering column hole should have a plate on the engine side that holds a piece of rubber to the body. I think this has been discussed before and it is a standard Triumph (Herald?) part. The rubber forms a seal around the column.
My handbrake is a 'close fit' through the hole in the bulkhead as it is a DIY conversion to RHD but I imagine it should have a grommet :?:
The air box back plate to carb joint has no seals, but you could use a petrol-proof sealant if necessary. The air box itself should have a sealing strip to make an air- (and fuel-) tight joint to the back plate - see section EJ of the Parts List. If it doesn't then there's probably little gain in sealing the back plate to the carbs... :wink:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:45 am

The plate and seal are standard Herald/Spitfire items. I bought mine from Rimmer Bros, but will not fit it until the engine comes out. The lower steering shaft will need to be disconnected in order to fit the parts ? a real PITA. http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/rimmer/triu ... e/steering

As a temporary (or maybe permanent) measure I have wrapped a piece of felt around the shaft from the inside and glued it to the bulkhead. This stops any ingress of fumes.

Regarding the hand brake cable ? my car has a nice grommet, but other cables don?t ? speedo cable, for instance. My solution for all other possible passages of fumes from the engine bay is to use DumDum and spray it with a light coating of satin black paint.

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:04 pm

Thanks chaps! :D
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: