Suspension tunning - once again

PostPost by: fjbm » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:08 pm

Hi All

I've tried to search the forum for info on this matter...

What I would need if to know what are the if the DBE road/fast road specs are the ones to have even with todays 155/13 tyres.

DBE fast road specs:
115 lb/in and 12 to 13.5 inch free length front depending on shocks used
95 lb/in and 12 inch free length rear
.750 inch roll bar

Will this setup be OK for road usage?

I'm using 2.25" on the rear and 1.9" on the front.

Thanks
fjbm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:37 pm

fjbm wrote:Hi All

I've tried to search the forum for info on this matter...

What I would need if to know what are the if the DBE road/fast road specs are the ones to have even with todays 155/13 tyres.

DBE fast road specs:
115 lb/in and 12 to 13.5 inch free length front depending on shocks used
95 lb/in and 12 inch free length rear
.750 inch roll bar

Will this setup be OK for road usage?

I'm using 2.25" on the rear and 1.9" on the front.

Thanks

I had the 115lb x 12 inch front springs and 95lb x 12 inch springs in the rear with adjustable platforms with a addco 7/8 inch sway bar. Spax adjustable height shocks in front and Koni's in the rear. I liked it a lot and I am sorry I sold the S4 that had them. I had 175/70 tires on plus2 wheels also. Arches were massaged a bit and I still tore off one of the arch lips reversing into the drive with the wheels cut hard when I hit the gutter burm of the driveway.

Gary
Attachments
white_in_nantucket_front 800.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:35 am

fjbm,

I know the desire continually to improve and tinker with our cars is high, but my advice would be to remain with the stock settings and, above all, stay with the 155-13 tires. The feel and even the look of a stock Elan are wonderful things and constitute a great part of what made the Elan such an engaging car. I would leave it as Chapman wrought it.

I have had my S4 since 1977 and have gone through the "fast road" route to the rose-jointed. fully adjustable, 26-R spec suspension, and 6" magnesium rims now on the car (see 1969 S4 DHC #8439 in the Gallery section). I have magnesium rear-struts, special dampers, and so on. But many times I wish I had the original system on the car, down to the metalastic bushes and original Dunlop tires (not available anymore, so the next best alternative seems to be the Micjelin XAS).

Alas, while I can remove all of the go-fast bits, it is just too much work. So I have written to give you unsolicited advice to enjoy to car as it is. It is great you are still on 155s.

Best wishes,

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:24 am

Hi Andy

I agree with you, once an Elan gets to a certain point then the car becomes more or less a single purpose vehicle. That said, the combination on my ex S4 (45/8221) in the above photo was not the case. It was a joy to drive ANYWHERE and I did. My other Elan that I still own is suitable for a quick romp around the block and back in the garage before the law finds me. Anyway I guess I will say you really need TWO Elan's, one for play and the other to enjoy on a daily basis.
Gary

abstamaria wrote:fjbm,

I know the desire continually to improve and tinker with our cars is high, but my advice would be to remain with the stock settings and, above all, stay with the 155-13 tires. The feel and even the look of a stock Elan are wonderful things and constitute a great part of what made the Elan such an engaging car. I would leave it as Chapman wrought it.

I have had my S4 since 1977 and have gone through the "fast road" route to the rose-jointed. fully adjustable, 26-R spec suspension, and 6" magnesium rims now on the car (see 1969 S4 DHC #8439 in the Gallery section). I have magnesium rear-struts, special dampers, and so on. But many times I wish I had the original system on the car, down to the metalastic bushes and original Dunlop tires (not available anymore, so the next best alternative seems to be the Micjelin XAS).

Alas, while I can remove all of the go-fast bits, it is just too much work. So I have written to give you unsolicited advice to enjoy to car as it is. It is great you are still on 155s.

Best wishes,

Andy
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:21 pm

You are right, Gary. That is a very interesting paint job you had on your past Elan. I haven't used my Elan for some time, but am getting it back on the road. It will be used, I suspect, pretty much the same was as your current Elan. They are fun sprint cars, although I used to drive my Elan from New York City all the way down to Atlanta and up to Martha's Vineyard.
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Andy

This is the current Elan. many photos and some text.

viewtopic.php?t=16846

abstamaria wrote:You are right, Gary. That is a very interesting paint job you had on your past Elan. I haven't used my Elan for some time, but am getting it back on the road. It will be used, I suspect, pretty much the same was as your current Elan. They are fun sprint cars, although I used to drive my Elan from New York City all the way down to Atlanta and up to Martha's Vineyard.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: