two post or four post lift

PostPost by: abstamaria » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:54 am

It seems everyone has gone with a four-post lift! There is another thread on two-post lifts in the "Things in Common" section, and at least one member has written in that he has had no problems with lifting Elans on a two-poster. That is encouraging for me.

I am quite pleased with the MaxJax I just installed. It of course should work well with the other older cars I work on that have full frames or monocoques, but I do hope it will be all right for the Elan. A two=post lift is so much more convenient. As I mentioned, the lift I installed is not a full height lift, but it seems perfect for my purposes and is small and unobtrusive. I have posted a photo for those who might be interested. I have no connections with MaxJax.

Andy
Attachments
maxjax installed 2.jpg and
The MaxJax lift.
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bilcoh » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:03 am

Andy:

Please tell me that's a catalog photo rather than your personal shop, as I'll simply have to die of jealousy!!

BTW, we met years ago when you were visiting Seattle and we were all at Randall Fehr's shop for an Evergreen Lotus Car Club event.

If that's your garage, congratulations. Stunning, and I presume, new? What could possibly reside in all those rolling cabinets unless it's spares to build 3 or 4 additional Elans. :lol: :lol:

Enjoy,

Dave
Dave
'66 Elan S2 - 26/4378
bilcoh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:11 am

It?s good of you to remember, Dave. I enjoyed that meeting and love Seattle. I recall I still had the Lotus 23 at the time.

That?s a renovation, now a year old, of an existing garage. It just looks good in that photo. I have all sorts of things in those cabinets ? a bump-steer gauge, wheel alignment tools, air tools, plus imperial, metric, and whitworth tools, etc. I also store supplies, waxes, and so forth in them, just to keep them out of sight and the place a little neater. Although the cabinets are identical, I bought them over time; the oldest one is probably 20 years old now.

Since I changed brakes, gearbox casings, wishbones, and a lot of other bits to Tony Thompson and 26R parts, I almost have enough parts to build another Elan! I almost bought a body from Mike Ostrov for the purpose. But now that I've retired the Elan from racing, I am sticking to and enjoying one Lotus.

The MaxJax is new, and I am excited about it. I hadn?t planned on using it for the Elan, but am encouraged to do so. See my next post below.

Best regards, and please say hello to the fellows in the Evergreen Lotus Car Club for me. I still have the shirt and pen I was given then.

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:16 am

For the convenience of those who haven't visited "Elans and 2-post Lifts" in the "Things in Common" section, Paul (3LOtus) posted
this yesterday. Paul said he routinely lifts Elans on a two-post lift, placing the lift pads at the corners of the sills.

"Andy,
Yes , I just put them at the end of the sill . The "vertical" is the front or back of the wheel well depending on which end it is.
The first time I was a little nervous, but now I do it all the time. Never had a problem. I did have visions of the frame dropping out ! But I've had three different Elan's up there and no problems.
Paul"
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:33 am

Andy and Dave

I have been following your discussions on the Maxjax 2 post lift and its use with the Elan.

After 6 months of contiplation you guys have convinced me.

I ordered mine last night (from stock at Babco in Surrey B.C. western Canada), I expect delivery tomorrow (Friday) or Monday. Price included freight to my isolated domain on Vancouver Island.

I am 71 years old and have owned 26/0538 since Dec. 1963 (or does it own me?) Getting under the old girl now with a floor jack and creeper is becoming impossible with my increasingly bad back.

Then I have the TR3 to finish and the '65 S2 to get at before I die!

I feel like a kid in a candy store!!

My shop doesn't look as great as your photos.

Unfortunatly my shop has open ceiling joists, cobwebs, lots of dust and sh*t, but ; Great lighting.

It will work!!

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Bill, that's great. The lift should help a lot.

A critical p is locating the posts as the arms have to reach the lift points on both the TR and the Elan (and any other car you want to lift). If you haven't done so, visit the Discussion section of Garage Journal. That has a thread on "Maxjax Installs" that is very useful.

Congratulations on such a long relationship with your Elan. Mine only goes back to 1977.

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: s2lola » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:34 pm

Not to be the sole dissenter on the issue, but I've had my SINGLE post lift for 6 years (moved from one house to the current one) and it is fantastic. For lighter weight cars (although my lift is rated at 5,000 lbs i think) it is ideal and very easy to get around? I will offer that it is a drive-on style, and therefore there is an adjustable ramp-like platform that could make some undercar access less easy than other lifts, but as I use it largely for storage the ramps make life easy. Certainly there are jacks that work off the ramp-style lift that enable wheel/brake access if desired, just not an add-on I need.

Cheers,
Bill
s2lola
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Bill wrote:I ordered mine last night (from stock at Babco in Surrey B.C. western Canada), I expect delivery tomorrow (Friday) or Monday. Price included freight to my isolated domain on Vancouver Island.

Bill, can you tell me what the price of the lift was, from Babco? I live in Surrey (I have the Bahama Yellow Plus 2 at this year's ABFM at Van Dusen) and I'm curious what they're charging.

Thanks,

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:06 am

Andy

I received delivery today @1545 hrs PDT, less than 48 hours from order. I am glad that my dear old Dad gave me a meccano set for christmas in the late '40's to get my imagineering going - hell, I've kept the Elan on the road for over 48 years and now I can apply those skills to this assembly jigsaw puzzle - no sweat! AND, I can save my 71 year old back thru the next renos!

You only die once ---- But --- not yet!!!

Thanks for the tips.

Randy

$2199 Canuck bucks plus HST. I believe they have one left in stock at that price = they will deliver via power taigate truck to you. I paid no extra freight to Ladysmith. ask for Justin at Babco (604 572 5666 ext 103 - #408-8342 130 street Surrey) Use my name to make him feel good. The Princess alternate dealer was $2399 plus tax and freight.

I was fortunate to get 1st in class (Lotus open) at the ABFM this year. Your car was absolutly lovely!

You can call me at 250 245 7240 if you would like any more info.

Wild Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:19 am

Bill, you are amazing! (And your relationship with that Elan is pretty unique, too!)

I didn't really speak to you much at the show, but heard the story of your long ownership and certainly wished I had had the foresight to buy the right car when I was young and just keep it.

As for the Maxjax, I'm very surprized you can get that much steel for $2200. But I guess, as you say, part of that secret is the DYI assembly required. No matter; we're Lotus owners. :mrgreen:

As it turns out, Babco is literally 2.5 miles from my house (now that you've pointed them out).

Hope you'll post pix of your Maxjax installation!

(I will look forward to seeing you at Van Dusen next May, though my car may well be entering the disassembly phase by then.) (My avatar pic is from this year's show.)
Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:45 pm

Randy

I'll send a photo when its installed - have a few jobs to get done around the farm in this good weather before I get at it first.

Go buy one - it is worth it just to pull the body.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Yeah, clearly that thing would be an awesome "body puller", no question. Then all the other stuff it would do for you is gravy.

Good weather can't be wasted, Bill, I agree! I'm going out for a drive right now!!

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:09 am

Encouraged by advice given here, I finally put the Elan on the two post lift this morning. I planned to use 2?x2? wood beams below the sills and also lower the car to jack stands after lifting, but dispensed with those and simply lifted the Elan with the jack pads at the sill corners, as advised. I took a photo for you fellows.

Elan on lift F.JPG and

No apparent cracks and the chassis didn?t fall off, so the lift works on the Elan!

How easy it is now to lift the car. No more figuring out how to lift then support the rear. And such great access to the suspension and underneath.

Many thanks, all!

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:05 am

Andy

Works well on the Elan doesn't it?

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:36 am

It may be obvious but not to me: with a 2 post lift lifting a car with imperfect weight distribution isn`t there a danger of it just toppling backwards or forwards, wrenching the (presumably) bolts from the floor?
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: