cassette water pump for a tall block ie 711 or 831

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:10 am

Does anybody know if the Cassette water pump TALL DECK front covers (and back plates) that Burtons or the Elan factory are for the full height of the 711 block or are they made for the height of the 711 block after it is milled .220 inch to work with the 711 crank, rods and stock twin cam piston compression height . I don't think Dave Bean even make one for the 711 block.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:18 pm

hi Gary ---from my investigations into a 711 block twin cam [I plan one also ]--all the T.C. front timing chain covers are the same there is only the added spacer at the top of the chain cover ---and longer chain --Burtons have them and they dont look too hard to duplicate in aluminium using the top chest gasket as a pattern --ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Hi Ed

My twin cam engines leak enough oil that I don't need them to leak more with an added spacer. I have bought the appropreate spacer before from QED and was somewhat disappointed to find that is is made to work with the deck face machined the before mentioned .220 of an inch. I can live with this as they were only 20 or so GBP but to go and spend the 6 to 800 U.S. dollars and have one shipped only to find its made to the same spec is not something I want to do. Thats why I am asking. I have a KAM alloy block that is full 711 height and the deck won't be getting milled at all as the liners stand proud 2 or 3 thousanths of an inch. There are some people on this forum that have no problem spending money on there toys, there are others that do. The block is linered to 87mm. I intend to add a 84mm crank and some longer rods with custom pistons to build a nice 2 liter twin cam that looks pretty stock and give a fair amount of push. This is all part of the plan that was started 12 years ago to build an 1100 lb (500kg) street Elan. I probably need to remove another 180 lbs off of my Elan to do that, the alloy block should be good for 40 of those pounds that I want to loose, I'll probably need a new lightweight (ultra light?) body from TonyThompson and one of those nice magnesium bells that you just bought. Getting the first 100 lbs of weight out of an elan is pretty easy, the problem is most of it comes off the rear of the car. That Alloy block, mag bell housing, and the S2 26r type headlamps will help get the balance back to where it once was.

here are some links to the Elan factory and Burtons

http://elanfactory.com.au/pdf/product_d ... 20pump.pdf

https://www.burtonpower.com/product_main.aspx?home.aspx

Burtons won't allow you to post a direct link so you need to select engine components, then waterpumps then Lotus twin cam
Look at parts FL843T and FL844T (T as in Tall)
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:31 pm

I found the best price for the bell was at lee Chapman racing in New Milford Conn --and you can save the shipping ---- :lol: ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:43 pm

garyeanderson wrote:Does anybody know if the Cassette water pump TALL DECK front covers (and back plates) that Burtons or the Elan factory are for the full height of the 711 block or are they made for the height of the 711 block after it is milled .220 inch to work with the 711 crank, rods and stock twin cam piston compression height . Gary

Gary,

I used Burton's tall block front cover when building my 711M, using custom length rods. I did not mill the block (apart from a minimal service skim) As I remember, the front cover and back plate were more than the full 711M block height.

I assembled them to the block when it was being skimmed to match them exactly to the deck level .

The engine is completely oil tight.

Sean
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 66S2 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:11 pm

I'm with Twincamman. My 711 block uses a spacer above the original front cover.

And while oil leaks remain a problem, this is not a problem area.
66S2
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:17 pm

Sean Murray wrote:
garyeanderson wrote:Does anybody know if the Cassette water pump TALL DECK front covers (and back plates) that Burtons or the Elan factory are for the full height of the 711 block or are they made for the height of the 711 block after it is milled .220 inch to work with the 711 crank, rods and stock twin cam piston compression height . Gary

Gary,

I used Burton's tall block front cover when building my 711M, using custom length rods. I did not mill the block (apart from a minimal service skim) As I remember, the front cover and back plate were more than the full 711M block height.

I assembled them to the block when it was being skimmed to match them exactly to the deck level .

The engine is completely oil tight.

Sean

Hi Sean

Thanks for the insite on the Burton cassette pumps. You just don't know unless you buy one sometimes, some of the vendors don't really know what they are selling half of the time.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:19 pm

66S2 wrote:I'm with Twincamman. My 711 block uses a spacer above the original front cover.

And while oil leaks remain a problem, this is not a problem area.

Same with my 1700 711 based twin cam, it leaks above the spacer and runs down the front of the cover.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi Gary

I rang Burton and they stated that FL844T didn't need a spacer or the block machining as per Sean first hand experience.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:31 pm

Can confirm that Burton don't use spacers, they sent me a tall cover when I needed a short one; had to send it back.

Cheers,
Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: