Cylinder head stamped with Lotus Production numbers

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:27 pm

There is a discussion on stamped head numbers over in the plus 2 section that was current earlier in the week.
I think it belongs here in things in common.

viewtopic.php?t=15859

I have seen more heads with a number stamped in them than not, I do not see many of the later (post 1970) engines so I don't know and I can't say to much.
Here are some of the heads I have around and will try and locate some others.
Attachments
miles wilkins head number.jpg and
part of a photo from miles twin-cam book. page 130 middle photo of the hard bound book.
LP 11936
Cortina mk1 head LP1128.jpg and
Die cast head that started life in an Elan and moved into a Lotus Cortina, I found the photo on the internet.
LP 3470 head.JPG and
I bought this bare head from Bob Yarwood, needs some work...
LP039 head.JPG and
Very early sand cast LP 039 cylinder head
unstamped Stromberg head.jpg and
This head is from my old S4 dhc 45/8221 and the engine number was not stamped on the head.
Last edited by garyeanderson on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:19 am

Looks my belief that the engine number mark on cylinder head is added after the car left the factory is wrong... The marks and their location are very similar. I wonder when they would have been added? Post the first succesful engine bedding-in run?

Anyway, here are my engine & head numbers, which match the chassis. The car is listed as a March 1968 build.

Will this open a market in re-uniting blocks with heads??!

Jeremy
Attachments
Head engine number.jpg and
Engine number.jpg and
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:06 am

Hi Jerimy

I don't know where in the engine process this head stamping was done. I would think that the block and head were united before they were stamped though. As far as all heads being stamped, I think that the practice was stopped at some point, the photo of my old S4 (45/8221) was from an engine in the LP 16xxx range. I have heard from some other folks that there cylinder head wasn't stamped, so who knows why or when. This is just another area where no definative statement is correct. just more Lotus as usual.

Gary

p.s. - matching numbers is a Corvette thing...
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: