Dust Covers

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:05 am

Hi,

I finally managed to find a new garage to rent but the owner has some stuff in it to which she needs access. So, to reduce the risk of accidental scratches, I thought I had better use a dust cover. I have one that I used on a previous car which is the non tailored type made from cotton (a big sheet basically) but am wondering if there would be any risk of microblistering?

Anyone had any problems?
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MintSprint » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:22 pm

Depends on how damp the garage is, basically, but you shouldn't have any problems so long as the cotton never gets to the point where it feels damp to the touch.
MintSprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:18 pm

Robbie under no circumstances would i use a car cover micro blistering is a particular problem especially with fibreglass. A friend had a concours MG within a short period of using a cover in his garage the blisters had occurred & yes it was a so called breathable cover
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:57 am

I agree it depends upon the dampness of your garage. If a dehumidifier is in use, you'd probably be OK as well. I have a cover, but these days I only use it briefly, usually when moving decorating materials through the garage. (!)
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:14 pm

Can somebody explain the process that leads to thid micro-blistering? After many years with the car "laid-up" I have started to bring her back to a life-in-the-fast-lane again.

I've really only just noticed some micro-blistering on the door. If due to atmospheric humidity I expect that living on Dartmoor may have something to do with it :!:

SO if someone points the finger that way I might talk "her indoors" around to a nice Carcoon or similar for Christmas . . . .

Any feelings on these devices? Do they have a drying out effect on the veneered dash?

Cheers
BARNEY
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:30 am

Thanks chaps - looks like I'll have to do without the cover.

Hope the new landlady is careful...
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:46 pm

I use a cotton cover on my Elan with no problems at all. However the garage is heated and never drops below 10C. Thus I have never noticed any trace of dampness.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:06 pm

:cry: just had to leave the lotus out of its warm garage due the new "super" garage I am having built being delayed by paperwork..
Old garage is full of stuff from the shed that was where the new garage will be..
looked at the car this morning..
Micro blisters where once was perfect paint work :x
Depressed!
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:03 pm

What about a car tent? There''s more than one on the market. it's a frame that pops round the car to hold the cover away from the bodywork.
This site has some examples, but there's probably more out there:
http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/Produc ... lAod1GYGHA

And then there's the carcoon - a baloon round your car...

http://www.carcoon.co.uk/
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: