Early vs Late gearbox tailshaft housings and Mounts

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:42 pm

My good friend Mike emailed me with some problems identifying the propper tailshaft for his car. He unfortunatly didn't say what year Elan or model so I am left guessing again, as there were several that will work and some that wont. Here is a brief bit of info for those that are interested. Anglia tailshaft housings are shorter I think and I don't believe they are any good to the Elan folk any one have photos of them beside the elan/cortina housings?

Gary

Two Late tailshaft housings flanking an early two bolt mount housing

Late tailshaft housing cross member mount

Late tailshaft housing part number 113 E 7651B

Early tailshaft housing cross member mount

Early tailshaft housing part number 116 E 7651B

Oil seal machined pocket is the same on all I believe. I don't have any late tailshaft housings for snap ring main shaft boxes but I believe they are the same, anyone got the 1971 or later box apart that can verify this?

Kit for an early elan, the gearbox cross member is drilled differently for the mount spacing. Yes I have seen them modified to fit but they are not pretty.

Early parts

Late gearbox mount on the left and early in the middle and trans mission adapter mount on the right
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:24 pm

[quote="garyeanderson"] Anglia tailshaft housings are shorter I think and I don't believe they are any good to the Elan folk any one have photos of them beside the elan/cortina housings?quote]

Here is a pic of an Anglia box next to an Elan box, not the best pic but it does show there is a length difference.
Attachments
ANGLIA & ELAN BOX.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:45 pm

"Oil seal machined pocket is the same on all I believe. I don't have any late tailshaft housings for snap ring main shaft boxes but I believe they are the same, anyone got the 1971 or later box apart that can verify this?"

Hello Gary,
I rebuilt one last year, and as I recall the oil seal pocket is exactly the same on snap-ring type as draw-nut type, of which I've rebuilt several.
Cheers,
Greg Tatarian
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:26 pm

Gary, this is very useful. I've always been confused about why I had a different gearbox mount from the "standard" mount that everyone sells.

Does anyone know which original Ford models that early gearbox mount is from?

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:51 pm

garyeanderson wrote:Oil seal machined pocket is the same on all I believe. I don't have any late tailshaft housings for snap ring main shaft boxes but I believe they are the same, anyone got the 1971 or later box apart that can verify this?

Gary- I agree with Greg that the pocket for the extension housing oil seal certainly looks the same on a late, snap-ring gearbox. As you know that is what I have in by August 1971-build +2, 050 0170N. My gearbox is fully assembled but I checked the Elan and Elan +2 Service Parts List and both show only one bearing, extension housing, 105 E 7041 D, and one seal, extension housing, 69 AG 7A292AA, for all types, series and years. I guess it is fair to say that all ENFO-based gearboxes for the Elan and Elan +2 are the same in this respect.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:34 pm

paddy wrote:Gary, this is very useful. I've always been confused about why I had a different gearbox mount from the "standard" mount that everyone sells.

Does anyone know which original Ford models that early gearbox mount is from?

Paddy

How about a Cortina? , when the Cortina changed the Elan followed...

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:14 pm

Thanks Gary. I thought there might be a simple answer like "all Mk1 Cortina" but the later type seems to be the one predominant sold for the Mk1.

So I guess it must have just been early Mk1 Cortinas. After a quick look online it looks like the 105e mount was different again.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi paddy

Back into the S1,S2, Coupe Master parts list (1966 vintage) the part numbers for the two gearbox mounts are 109E 6068B (close ratio) and 118E6068B for the ("rally ratio")

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:52 pm

OK, so it's the mount from the 109E:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-GEARBOX-MOUNT ... 43003r2758

Thanks for the reference.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jeff@Jae » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:29 pm

I am pretty sure that the S4 Elan gearbox was totally unique to the Lotus application having the snap ring gearbox using the earlier tailshaft housing that no Cortina used at that point (MK2 Cortinas).
Jeff@Jae
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: