filling the tranny

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:38 pm

OK has anyone come up with a better system of getting the old stinky hypoid 80-90 into the transmission OTHER than jacking the car up and forcing the oil into the hidden oil hole on the side of the tranny ????? :roll: ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:45 pm

I do what I was advised by a Lotus F1 mechanic in my S2 days - take the gear lever out and fill from the top.
In the event of having a Lotus 5 speed box - make sure the lever is in 4th gear before removing.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:59 am

ok ----so after I have filled the rear tail shaft transmission housing with hypoid just how does the gear oil enter the trans mission casing????osmosis??? ---there is only a tiny 1 / 16 th hole air bleed hole in the tranny casing between the tranny case and the rear tail shaft housing ----and the oil will leak out of the tail shaft seal before it goes into the transmission gearing ----- ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:22 am

I use a 50ml syringe with a bit of rubber tubing on it ......... slow but easy and clean.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:26 am

Archive already includes words & picture here:

elan-f15/gearbox-oil-level-t15848.html

rd
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:29 am

Made this years ago the can gives that away the pump it's from a Redex can (remember penny a squirt ),the curved brass pipe allows the oil to go in and not block the bottom of the filler hole so you can stop when just up to level so no pools of oil.
Neil
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elan_fan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:52 pm

I'm the same as you Neil, but I bought mine. This is one here, they are about 15GBP

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165469

regards
Mark
Attachments
4385.jpg
4385.jpg (9.68 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
elan_fan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:07 pm

If I'm refitting the gearbox I always use the gear lever opening before I replace the gear lever. I've been able to fill the 4-speed, 5-speed, and T9 through the gear lever opening without any oil spills

Otherwise I made up a squeeze bottle by forcing a length of 1/2" OD neoprene tube through the filler neck of a plastic oil bottle, with the tube reaching to the bottom of the bottle.

Works for the diff as well :mrgreen:
Attachments
Oil squeeze bottle.jpg and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:38 pm

well I did the old way ----found a pressure tube and injected one liter and a bit for spillage ---2 showers later I still smell of hypoid
Attachments
DSCF0965.JPG
DSCF0965.JPG (26.55 KiB) Viewed 2520 times

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:06 am

Hi Ed
You should be using Redline MTL - less sulphur in it and a much better smell - no need for a shower.

The gear change is improved to

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:29 pm

Hi Rohan-----yes we use it in the race cars ---It leaks and is thinner than hypoid -----I found no etching of any parts in my 45 year old transmission caused by sulpher [ :lol: my life style demands I get used to sulpher] :roll: l-----the only wear was on brass bits and bearings from use and abuse over the years ------ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:42 pm

I have cut a hatch in the side of the transmission tunnel; this is held on by self-tappers.

Procedure: Lift off centre console, pull back carpet, remove hatch, unscrew plug, fill gearbox from inside car; reverse above steps. 10 minutes, no hassle. :D

Of course I do have a Spyder chassis, which gives better access from the side than the old tinplate version.

Similar hatch in boot gives access to diff filler AND the dreaded handbrake tree. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:44 am

I've made a plate approx 3" x 4" with a tyre valve and hose inserted in it close together in the centre, the bottom is covered in neoprene and it has two holes on the outside edge, I just place it over the hole in the oil can wrap a bungie band under the can hooked in the two holes to hold it in place, the bungie means you can't overpressurise it. Attach the airline apply approx 10psi of presssurepressurise with and the oil flows freely.

I also have a access panel cut in the boot, as well as access to filler it allows the propshaft to be removed once the diff is out rather than removing engine and gearbox.
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: