Fitting TTR diff mounts

PostPost by: jono » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:00 am

I have acquired a set of uprated mounts from TTR and am also fitting a diff brace from Sue Miller.

Is the washer size and sequence the same as for the std mounts or is there a different way these need to be installed?

I would appreacited any words of guidance from those who have fitted these.

Cheers.

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:21 am

Jon
They are exactly the same as the standard ones except for they are slightly smaller above the plate that goes onto the chassis, so you will see more bolt above the mounting (under the fuel tank!)
You will need 1 washer only if you are now fitting the brace. Sequence is the same

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:10 am

Thanks Terry.

So, large 50mm washer on top of TTR mount, none between brace and underside of TTR mount and a single 32mm washer to underside of diff lug?

Jon

PS: already cut the bolts down
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:19 am

Jon
On my car ......

From the bottom as it were

bolt + 32mm washer + diff + brace + large washer + mount + large washer + Nyloc

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:31 am

terryp wrote:bolt + 32mm washer + diff + brace + large washer + mount + large washer + Nyloc

Me too. The issue is whether or not there is room to put the additional large washer between the brace and the underside of the mount.

Although there isn't much clearance between the underside of the diff and the chassis, I don't get any knocking. It seems to me that the way the TTR mounts work is that the mount allows each of the diff lugs to lift from its rest position under load but not to droop further. The diff can therefore rotate slightly (along an axis in line with the prop) in both directions because either one lug or the other can lift slightly. To avoid the diff hitting the chassis, the priority is therefore to give it clearance at the top rather than clearance underneath.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:11 am

Cheers, guys - this is pretty much as I intended and if it works I will do it this way!

I was just a little confused as to how the diff mounts work because, by virtue of their design, they are effectively sandwiched between the large top washer and the diff brace/bottom washer :?
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan71 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:13 am

I found I needed a large washer below the TTR mount when there was none before.

Alan
Attachments
diff mount.jpg and
TTR & Lotus mounts.jpg and
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: