Front Suspension Uprights No Lube Oil Drilling

PostPost by: gerrym » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:12 pm

Solid Style Suspension Uprights Now Arrived. Canley Classics supplied them plus some Stanpart trunnions.

Photos show front suspension (off car) with ample clearance between bottom of trunnion and inside of the wheel rim

It should be possible to inject the lube oil directly into base of trunnion, instead of going down through a drilling that weakens the upright

Regards
gerry
Elan Upright Trunnion Clearance1.jpg
Elan Upright Trunnion Clearance1.jpg (28.9 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
Elan Upright Trunnion Clearance2.jpg
Elan Upright Trunnion Clearance2.jpg (21.86 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
Elan Upright Trunnion Clearance3.jpg
Elan Upright Trunnion Clearance3.jpg (21.59 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:01 pm

Good work Gerry... Those look to be a lot stronger.

I've got some new drilled uprights on the shelf ready to be fitted and I'm now having a 'swither'

I also thought about fitting a little autolube unit and piping it to the trunnion (s) similar to this... We use them now and again for hard to get to nipples. One can 't' off a pair of 4 mm dia pipes (must be same length for best results) and fit direct to the trunnion bottoms.

http://www.fluidsealingsolutions.com/tr ... penser.htm

Even better with that design of yours. Fill the autolube with some liquid grease or oil and hay presto.. Just need to regulate the flow then. The spring loaded device holds about 100mls of lube and one controls the flow via a simple tapered screw.. Then I thought how much I enjoyed lubing the wee car and shelved the idea. Time to resurrect it? With it working well one should never get worn trunnions. the only downside would be having to wipe off some lube now n then. Can't be bad..

Keep up the good work Gerry. Always a joy to read.

Been meaning to call you when up in Aberdeenshire. I will get round to it soon... :wink:

Alex..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: