Knock-On Alloy Wheel Drive Pegs

PostPost by: collins_dan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Brian, I was planning to get 14" minilites, like yours, for daily driving and keep my 13" original steel wheels for autocross (have 185/60 Toyo proxies, great for autocross, but a bit undersized for daily driving). Sounds like when I get the new wheels I will need to get new pegs, which will protrude slightly more on the original steel wheels, but not be a problem, correct? Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:42 pm

collins_dan wrote:Brian, I was planning to get 14" minilites, like yours, for daily driving and keep my 13" original steel wheels for autocross (have 185/60 Toyo proxies, great for autocross, but a bit undersized for daily driving). Sounds like when I get the new wheels I will need to get new pegs, which will protrude slightly more on the original steel wheels, but not be a problem, correct?

Dan,

I've propably gone a little OTT on the length. i.e 11 + 4mm protrusion.
I put them in today and had to use the spinner to drive the wheels all the way home to the hub face. It took a little effort to get the wheels off for the first time, but the second and third time were quite easy. I deliberately did the three cycles just to make sure it was a workable job.
From what I can gather, the longer pegs being sold by the usual suspects are 7+4mm protrusion. But if making your own, the longest length of 15mm is probably best at no real cost.

BTW, if making your own - the peg diameter is 0.4275".

However, I have to say that, IMHO, the longer pegs that I now have would look pretty ugly with steel wheels.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:30 am

bcmc33 wrote:
billwill wrote:And don't forget the lightness :D
those top hat pins must be heavier than the plain ones.

:lol:

A flaw in your point, Bill. What about the material not removed with no spot faces? 8) 8)

:cry: :cry:
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: khamai » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:07 pm

bcmc33 wrote:BTW, if making your own - the peg diameter is 0.4275".

If you are headed down the path of doing your own wheels here's an article on the Golden Gate Lotus Club site with drawings and specs for the wheel hub and off-sets.

http://gglotus.org/ggtech/elan-panasport/elanwhls.htm

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
Life is more fun behind the wheel of a Lotus!
www.gglotus.org
www.gglotus.org/blog
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: