Air con

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi all,

Just a thought but has anyone fitted an air con system to a plus 2 with a twincam?

Got to be worth a go surely????

Paul (yes I could be mad)
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:13 am

Paul, this thread kicked the idea around pretty well.

post121712.html

I have installed a sun roof, a VW shut off valve on the heater hose, and have ceramic coating on my headers, which all help cabin temperature issues. Wish I had installed additional thermal insulation around the driver footwell on my LHD car though.

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:24 am

Thanks for that link Stu. It caused a bit of a stir that time round, I dare say it would again. Something for the future I think.

Many thanks, paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:10 pm

Seems the latest trend in the hotrod world, is to install an all electric AC unit. These can be found in the various hybrid cars that are littering the highways. Since most of those owners are texting or painting their toe nails, there should be an ample supply in the wrecking yards. It would take a much stronger alternator than what is equipped. Might be worth investigating.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Rob,

Thanks for that bit of info,I didnt know that.Anyway ive done a bit of research in the last few days and its looking a bit on the pricey side,but possibly a worthwhile mod even so.All the major bits are in the scrap yard of fleebay so ill leave it on the back burner untill the pennies are saved up.

Paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:49 am

Paul if you google car builder solutions they do a compact air on setup at reasonable price which they used to fit in their 330P4 replicas
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks Ian, I had completely forgot about them. Im thinking a better solution would be to fit a zetec with it already on,and go from there.im in no rush for now.

Thanks, paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:20 pm

I'm building a Zetec and the pump side is fine. The issue for me is where do you put the unit in the cabin.
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:51 pm

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Univ ... Kit_AIRCON

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Univ ... it_AIRCON2

I think these are what is being refered to in the reply. a bit of measuring and fettleing is required i think,oh and explaining to the wife how it will make my life much better.

Paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:22 am

Thanks Paul,
looks like they might fir under the dash. Anyone tried it?

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:43 pm

I have a unit for my P4 it is compact but to fit ?lan current heater would need to be removed
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:06 pm

Ian,

A P4 too eh, lucky man. So tell me whats behind the seats,I hear the 400 keeps donating its v12 to you guys. As well as twinks I'm a big fan of v8's in cobras.
Anyway,in your opinion is it worth taking out the old heater matrix and going the whole hog with the heater/air con combined or perhaps looking at another option?

Paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:32 pm

Paul it would be hell of a job i think but you would have room once you got the old heater out would be nice to have aircon suppose it depends how much you use the car & how much summer we get to justify the aggro. Fitting it on the P4 rep as it is like being in a goldfish bowl after seeing some poor sod driving with the door wedged open in a GT40 rep at Le Mans in 37 deg heat i can measure the unit if you are desperate to do it.
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mini64 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:00 pm

I created the thread mentioned above. Still havent put a/c in my coupe yet, but do intend to. I suggest you make a cardboard box the dimensions of the evaporator unit and see if you can make it fit. I took out my original heater, and even the fiberglass molding that goes from the outside air inlet to the heater. With this I could fit the carbboard mockup, but there was virtually no room to run the ducting and i'd have to relocate all the gauges and switches that are in the middle of the dash. I tried rotating the box 90 degrees to fit it where the glovebox would be, above the passenger legs, but still no room for all the connections.

This is with units from vintageair.com. they have some small ones, but not the exact size of the UK place linked above. I think what I will end up doing is using the original heater, then putting an air only unit on the back shelf between the rear wheel wells, customising the back panel for it to make it look good. Of course I'll have to run the coolant lines all the way back there. i'll use something similar to the first "underdash" unit linked below. I may rip the casing off it and do my own vent outlet plumbing, maybe someday doing a custom center console where the air flows under it and out a vent either side to blow up onto your chest?

http://www.vintageair.com/2012catalog/2 ... (Page%2048).pdf
mini64
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 65ginetta » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:04 pm

I'm located in East Tennessee, USA and restoring a 1966 S3 coupe for my wife and am fitting a/c as part of the project. After internet searches and telephone contacts I selected Vintage Air, San Antonio, TX
I have glassed the heater intake grille to seal the interior of the car as the Vintage Air Gen II Mini I'm using does not require exterior air supply.
I have altered the factory Lotus defrost ducts to side input and increased them to 2" dia to suit the a/c defrost vents, this increases the area above the evaporator by more than 2" and the heater, defrost and a/c ducts can easily be located. I have borrowed a dummy Vintage Air Gen II mini evaporator unit from my local TN dealer and am making up mounting brackets using the (3) original Lotus heater plenum bolt fixings and a couple of mild steel straps at the front of the unit. Griffin of South Carolina made me a bigger aluminum radiator and the condenser coil fits easily in between the oil cooler. I'm making up a bracket for the compressor and will drive it from a double crank pulley. I guess the a/c project will cost around $1,000 US when complete. I attach pictures of the body mods and also a size comparison of the Lotus heater plenum to the Gen II mini. I'm trying to get all the body and mountings modifications made before my body goes to the finishing paint shop at the end of the month. So far its looking very easy and should make driving in 100 F degree temps much better in the coupe.
I have no commercial or business relationship with Vintage Air, I am however very impressed with the technical support and design of their products and will report when complete.

65 Ginetta
Attachments
Vonore-20121007-00418.jpg and
Vonore-20121007-00425.jpg and
Vonore-20121007-00421.jpg and
65ginetta
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: