Brake upgrade kit

PostPost by: drtarkir » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:15 am

I am also interested in the status of this as I need to do something about brakes in the next month or so. What is the status of the setup for the rear?

In addition I just made a request to Wilwood that they consider making a kit for the Lotus +2 and I offered my vehicle as a model. They have a program where given enough interest they will make kits for cars. The Wilwood link to make this request is http://www.wilwood.com/About/BrakeKitReferral.aspx. Maybe if a few more people make the same request they will be more likely to consider doing this.

Dennis
drtarkir
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:36 am

OK Dennis I added my car/name.

If we just had a mounting bracket for the Dynalite calipers we would be almost there...
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mio137 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Hi All
It is my company that has developed these brake kits.
I have now been contacted by Dennis and David about these kits or more correctly buying the bracket that I have developed.
I have no problem in selling these caliper brackets for the different Lotus elans with small wheels and large wheels.
the thing is there have been a lot of development into these brake kits, it is a very tight fit in the wheels, especially the steel wheels.
There has been Stress simulation done in Solidworks with these brackets and real race test with them.
The idea was to develop something very lightweight and cheap. It is a lot cheaper for US customers to buy the brackets alone and get the Wilwood calipers in the US, some other customers have done that.
Willwood calipers used are very cheap and they last forever in Elan or Seven or Europa.
Brackets are made in Denmark and are made in billet very high-quality alloy and anodized black, it is not some cheap cast alloy.
And since this is a very limited market, I am not having many brackets in stock.

So if you get together and order 5-10 sets of caliper bracket you get 10% discount.

I have been Racing Lotus Elan 26r FIA for 10 years and winning, and have also managed other teams also winning.
One thing I have learned is that you always get what you pay for.
I have tried all kits under race condition, meaning R888 tires or slicks, and the road going Elan I have is with the vented front kit and rear kit, it does faster lap times on all the circuits I drive than my FIA race car that way 100 kg less.
And I know my website is really bad, but maybe that could be corrected.

Best Regards
Michael Olsson
MIO Engineering
Mechanical Engineer
mio137
New-tral

PostPost by: Davidb » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:46 pm

Michael, I am interested in a set. Does it matter if it is for the large or small stub axle? I intend fitting GT6 uprights and the bigger axles with Revolution wheels.

Dennis, and others-anybody else interested in taking advantage of Michael's discount offer?
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mio137 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi
It doesn't matter if it is small or large stub axel.
the original small axel on Elan S1 and S2 with bolt on wheels are not very strong and they bend often. If this is the case its too dangerous and affect the handling of the car. Its a good idea to convert to gt6 uprights and large billet stub axel.
You would see if the axel is bent when assembling the bracket and the disc on the hub since these have to run parallel.
Best Regards
Michael Olsson
mio137
New-tral

PostPost by: fattogatto » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:17 pm

I might be interested in a set for the S3, depending on the price.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:27 pm

I am also interested in a pair of caliper brackets to fit the standard Elan discs. :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:03 am

For those who really want to strap on massive lumps of iron to their wheels may want to checkout the Austin Princess Calipers.
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:03 am

I am interested.

David
36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:15 am

mio137 wrote:Hi
It doesn't matter if it is small or large stub axel.
the original small axel on Elan S1 and S2 with bolt on wheels are not very strong and they bend often. If this is the case its too dangerous and affect the handling of the car. Its a good idea to convert to gt6 uprights and large billet stub axel.
You would see if the axel is bent when assembling the bracket and the disc on the hub since these have to run parallel.
Best Regards
Michael Olsson

In my experience the original smaller stub axles don't bend but they can crack and break especially if used for competition with sticky tyres. Be there and done that - rebuilt it at the track for the next race !

Replacement stub billet stub axles are available and dont appear to break under racing loads.

What bends is the bottom thread into the trunnion if you hit kerbs to hard on both the road or track.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:45 pm

One can get lost when looking at what is available from Wilwood. Is there a common part number that is regularly used when applied to the Elan?
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:56 pm

The MIO website does not specify the Wilwood number. However, it does mention there is a special kit for the Elan with Minilite wheels. Does anyone know if the bracketry is different vis a vis the steel 13" wheel kit?
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mio137 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:00 pm

The price for
2x brackets in the front (Solid disc setup)
2xaeroquip brake hoses
4x bolts for the caliper to bracket
4xshims for line up the discs and bracket for original factory tolerance.

300? + carriage
This is 10% discount for Elan.net

Discs are +2 elan
and calipers are probably cheap in US.
mio137
New-tral

PostPost by: mio137 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:16 pm

1.type bracket for the steel wheel, inside diameter are smallest on steel wheels.
2. type bracket for Minilite wheel 13",
3. type bracket for 14" wheels since now it is possible to use Willwood ultralight 260mm ventilated brake rotor.
This set is the ultimate set for you Elan or Elan+2 (you never use a servo assist again)
And also it needs a special alloy center to fit the elan for the brake rotor. Disc and rotor are 700 grams lighter than +2 disc.
4. type of bracket is made for the Caterham upright where the caliper bracket is cast into the upright, and this is made for same 260mm brake rotor as mentioned before.
5. type of bracket is under development for the original upright with separate caliper brackets. To fit also the 260mm rotor, but now with an even lighter caliper and better clearance for steel wheel 13". Pedal effort is only 10 % less than original Girling LF14 calipers.
I agree that the tread on the upright also can bend, but the small original stub axel also bend.

Michael
mio137
New-tral

PostPost by: mio137 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:28 pm

I will advice separately on which calipers to use to avoid possible mismatch front and rear braking bias.
mio137
New-tral

PreviousNext

Total Online: