Lotus Elan

fitting spydercar electric headlamp lift conversion

PostPost by: roebuck » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:34 am

Hello,
I am not far off the restoration of my 1970 S4 SE DHC and I have been advised to fit the Spydercar electric headlamp lift conversion.
I was interested if anyone has fitted one of these kits?
My only access now would be to remove the grille as the radiator has been fitted.
Is it easy to do via the nose?
Thanks in advance.
roebuck
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:25 am

Works a treat on my +2.

I believe it is also adjustable for speed of lift etc.
vincereynard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:39 am

Can't say for sure about the Spyder conversion, but we designed, fabricated & fitted an electric headlight lift system very similar to what Spyder now sells to my pals series 3 using only the grille/air intake for access, although we did take the headlight pods out as part of the design & fitting process, which allows for better sight of what you're doing.

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Why were you advised to do that? What's wrong with the original vacuum system?

The electric systems are obviously excellent but if your existing vacuum system is not broken why mess with it? Personally I like the quirky vacuum system, which is part of the character of the car and perfectly effective when in good condition. Aside from being original, it complements the rest of the Elan in that you get that faint feeling of surprise and pleasure when it actually works. :-)

(I'm not sure if I'd feel the same about the failsafe implementation - the lights creeping up by themselves when parked would doubtless bug me, but none of my Elans have been failsafe models.)

Nick
elanner
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jentwistle3 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:18 pm

171cedb2-c8fd-44bf-8daf-5d416a233567.jpeg and

I just did this on my S2. If you’re interested I can send wiring diagram and bracket pattern. I can’t upload a video but I can email if you’d like to see it in operation.
JE
Jentwistle3
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mr.Gale » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:52 pm

Here is what I did with my fail-safe system but it would also work on individual headlights.

Mr.G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HLdt4Bhnto
Mr.Gale
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:59 am

Mr.Gale wrote:Here is what I did with my fail-safe system but it would also work on individual headlights.

Mr.G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HLdt4Bhnto

I like the relatively slow actuator, some, like the MX5, are very fast acting. What's if off?
thanks
Mike
mikealdren
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:56 pm

elanner wrote:Why were you advised to do that? What's wrong with the original vacuum system?

The electric systems are obviously excellent but if your existing vacuum system is not broken why mess with it? Personally I like the quirky vacuum system, which is part of the character of the car and perfectly effective when in good condition. Aside from being original, it complements the rest of the Elan in that you get that faint feeling of surprise and pleasure when it actually works. :-)

(I'm not sure if I'd feel the same about the failsafe implementation - the lights creeping up by themselves when parked would doubtless bug me, but none of my Elans have been failsafe models.)

Nick

You have obviously not experienced the sheer terror of being on the M20 on a stormy rainy night, with a 40 ton artic up your a***e, with all spotlights on, and any time you push the throttle to get away, the headlights start to sink into the bonnet ! :shock:
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:43 pm

Heck, no, indeed not - nor would I want to!

It sounds like the one-way valve in the vacuum line needed some attention, but I'd not want to discover that in the circumstances you describe (or in any circumstances, come to think of it). And, I have to admit, I would go to considerable lengths to avoid driving on a Interstate in the dark in a heavy storm. Being in a such a small, fragile vehicle in such dangerous conditions would be terror enough for me, regardless of the headlamps. And because the roof is always down. :-)

Nick
elanner
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:51 am

On my Plus 2 I made my own electric set up. Bought a pair of Mazda motors off eBay and made some mounting plates out of 3mm alloy sheet and some alloy angle. I used 6mm stainless screwed stick and rose joints for the linkage. The only tricky bit is getting the correct length of arm on the motor as it needs adjusting, for the Plus 2 it needed lengthening a couple of millimetres. Electrically it’s pretty straightforward, as the Mazda motor just does a 180 degree turn depending on which wire you apply voltage to, so one relay with a changeover contact does it and the relay coil gets its signal when the headlights are turned on. Easiest place to pick up this signal is on the connection to the column dip switch, saves rummaging behind the dash trying to get to the headlamp switch.
The motors are fast, keep your fingers out of the way as it will do severe damage to them. I’ve still got all my fingers, but tried it before securing the wiring out of the way and it ripped it out on first test!
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: