Historic MOT rule changes

PostPost by: stevebroad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:44 pm

stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:40 am

Might be interesting if the pop.up didn't cover half the screen!!!
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:28 am

• Chassis (replacements of the same pattern as the original are not considered a
    substantial change) or Monocoque bodyshell including any sub-frames
    (replacements of the same pattern as the original are not considered a substantial
    change);

Does a Spyder chassis on a Plus 2 constitute a substantial change, or is it the "same pattern"?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:53 am

Don't ask!
Probably not the sort of thing anyone new to an Elan would notice!
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:10 pm

its the same pattern as all the connections/mounts/brakets/offsets/overall dims etc are in the same place.....
its just got some 'aero' holes in it!!!!
lol
:D
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:59 pm

Of course we all know that the chassis is merely a subframe, so we never declare a new chassis.
I wouldn't like to second guess DVLA on change from stressed skin to space frame so I wouldn't raise the issue.
Going for tax free is obviously what you want and I see no harm in getting a cheap MoT for peace of mind.
I'm sure my regular guy will offer a discount on a car that will only take him 10 minutes to check.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:10 pm

I thought tax exemption (well, "zero rated" would be a better way of putting it, you still need to tax the car, it's just free of charge) was automatic ( > 40 years old as of Jan 1st in the year of applying for tax).

MOT exemption is a matter of convenience for me.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:20 pm

MarkDa wrote:Might be interesting if the pop.up didn't cover half the screen!!!

What popup?
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Gone now-couldn't shift it this morning though
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Zero VED is based on uear of construction however some 'bitsa' cars have achieved an historic plate and there's going discussions about their 'age'
Bugattis are a case in point-lots of money at risk there.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:26 pm

I always thought the Spyder replacement was legal because suspension pickup points were in same place. It just happens to have additional pickup points too..

A quick read says to me no different. And im fairly sure no one would question a sierra dif, ford hub conversion. Mainly because i wouldnt tell them.

Also it looks like engine replaced with a similar style, 4 pot, zetec, is perfectly within rules ( great for turbo charging too)

Looks like ill be keeping both of mine now.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:50 pm

I'm not sure it's a matter of 'legality' after all you can do almost anything you like with a car and the test is safety as judged by MoT.
I'm all for not pointing things out that are not obvious, however as far as I know zetec engines were introduced in 1991 so there's a few years to go before one will meet the 30 year rule and as it's not a twin cam an owner would have a job saying he thought it was original.
It's a stretch to say that it's the same basic engine or alternative original engine. Also they don't even come in within 10 years of end of Elan production.
Arguably the new engine should have been declared on V5 when installed so a trail may exist.
All to their own of course but we don't want to abuse the self certification do we?
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: