Lotus Elan

Honda S2000 engine and box

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi Dave,

Good job on this!

I'm still gnashing my teeth over whether to use an S2000 or Twink in my 36R. As luck would have it, I can put off the decision for a few months as I will be building a rotisserie and fitting the 26R wings to the S3 shell (a non-trivial operation).

Best,
Jon
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Jon, can I respectfully suggest you have your shell on the chassis and the wheels to be fitted once your conversion is complete, before you fit the 26R arches.

I know from experience that it DOES matter. You will be able to align the arches to the wheels. If you don't you may find the wheels are inboard / outboard of the arches and not where you want them.

Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your wise words.

I have fitted the wings with about 200 little bits of sheet alloy and self tappers. Once I have done enough glassing so that the shell is strong enough to support itself on the rotisserie I shall screw the wings back on and confirm that they're still aligned and then do a little bit of glassing, just to locate them. Then I can finish the job in comfort without trying to make the glass cling while it's upside down!

If I knew then what I know now, I may have decided to just put flares on the beast. The 26R arches look great but Jeesus H Christ, they're a lot of work.

Best,
Jon
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Gray » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:59 pm

I'll second that, I did look at mine today, front ones fitted, one rear nearly finished, other still held in place with alloy strips and pop rivets, shell on side - its been there since before Christmas!

It is essential to initially align with body on chassis, then best to take body off, although possible without.

Best of luck.

Gray
Gray
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:12 pm

Yep, I plan to do mine on a rotisserie so that the glass will always be laid on a flat surface. None of this upside down stuff for me.
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: