My race project - The Proof

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:13 am

GOOD POINT I Was thinking if he used thin aluminum it would deform at he slightest hit using light 16th ply would survive a light impact or shatter away on a heavier one -of course its always better to leave the grass cutting to the grounds keeper e
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:23 pm

I had to take off the back end recently so that the suspension pick up could be altered so I took a few more photos while it was in the fresh air....

I like the idea of the quick release splitter. Whatever I do, the splitter needs to be removed each time so that I can get the car on the trailer so the two coud work well together - thanks for that

Looks a bit strange without the rear wheels - heigh ho - onwands and upwards.

Gavin
Attachments
Modsports elan 133.jpg and
Modsports elan 132.jpg and
Modsports elan 134.jpg and
Modsports elan 129.jpg and
Modsports elan 130.jpg and
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:26 pm

Do the current "Modsports" rules (if such a thing really exists) require you to include even a scintilla of the original Elan chassis design? If not; I would bin it and start again. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:41 pm

Having searched around, I'm inclined to say: Plywood.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:12 pm

Pete

I had a spare chassis (as you do) so I used it but I built it so that the chassis can be removed (everything bolts to it) with a view to a future redesign.

Whilst it is heavy, the set up is now really stiff so replicating it with less weight will be a challenge because I dont have access to a cheap space frame designer.....

You do raise a good point though

Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:37 pm

This thread is nearly 2 years old but I have just found it. A man after my own heart :-)

Has there been any progress, Gavin?

Regards

Steve
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Steve
I've been amassing all of the important bits including lighter rear uprights and should be back on the project in 2 months or so. I need to finish the trailer first so that I can store the road going Elan in it to make space. Having the components is one thing - having the space for me is quite another.
I'm going to end up fabricating some new wishbones and am currently researiching anti squat/dive geometry to see whether I should do this at the same time. The new wishbones also need to allow me to drop the ride height a little too.
I think the problem is too many ideas and not enough action...
I'll put up some more photos when I have something else to show.
All the best
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:15 am

Hi Gavin,

On the search for a modsports elan i've recently been in touch with the modsports builders and racers of the day and was fortunate enough to have had lengthy conversations with Derek Matthews ex owner of the Ark racing team of the 70's through to the 80's. He has supplied me with fantastic CD's and DVD's at variuos race meetings in England and abroad.
For anyone interested in buying this great modsports archive i'll give you his e mail address: [email protected]
I've posted a photo of one of the Elans he built..the engineering and detail is top notch.

Gino
Milano
Italy
Attachments
EPSON024.JPG and
1964 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coupe
1968 Elan S4 Coupe
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1982 Lotus Esprit S3
1961 Ford Anglia
2000 Lotus Elise Motorsport-56
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:16 am

gav wrote:Steve
I've been amassing all of the important bits including lighter rear uprights and should be back on the project in 2 months or so. I need to finish the trailer first so that I can store the road going Elan in it to make space. Having the components is one thing - having the space for me is quite another.
I'm going to end up fabricating some new wishbones and am currently researiching anti squat/dive geometry to see whether I should do this at the same time. The new wishbones also need to allow me to drop the ride height a little too.
I think the problem is too many ideas and not enough action...
I'll put up some more photos when I have something else to show.
All the best
Gavin

That sounds a lot like me. Shelves and cupboards full of bits waiting to be fitted. Also lots of ideas getting in the way of actually getting on with the project sounds familiar too :-)

Not sure how modified wishbones will drop ride height. That is controlled by wheel diameter, wishbone mounting points and the angle they are set at, surely? (unless you make them a flat S shape).

Love the removable sections. This is something I will look into if I ever get as far as making the carbon fibre body. I already have the CF sitting in the workshop, so at least it's appeciating in value :-)

Tried sending a PM, but didn't seem to work so:

Hi Gavin

As you are not very far away from Essex, maybe we should get together sometime over a beer to compare notes.

Regards

Steve
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:07 am

gino1 wrote:Hi Gavin,

On the search for a modsports elan i've recently been in touch with the modsports builders and racers of the day and was fortunate enough to have had lengthy conversations with Derek Matthews ex owner of the Ark racing team of the 70's through to the 80's. He has supplied me with fantastic CD's and DVD's at variuos race meetings in England and abroad.
For anyone interested in buying this great modsports archive i'll give you his e mail address: [email protected]
I've posted a photo of one of the Elans he built..the engineering and detail is top notch.

Gino
Milano
Italy

Hi Gino.

Any progress on fitting a sequential box?

Steve
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Hi Steve,
No not yet...i've been busy with the modsports project for a friend.

Gino
1964 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coupe
1968 Elan S4 Coupe
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1982 Lotus Esprit S3
1961 Ford Anglia
2000 Lotus Elise Motorsport-56
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: davidholroyd » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:00 pm

The CSCC are running races for Mod Sports cars this year ( and last )
davidholroyd
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 pm

davidholroyd wrote:The CSCC are running races for Mod Sports cars this year ( and last )

Is a list of race venues & list of entrants/cars available?
If so would it be possible to post them somewhere here on the forum please.

I'm so keen to see at least one of those races this year & hopefully so many Elans as possible in the entry list.

Many thanks in advance.
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Steve
I think I have worked out how to pm you.
Let me know if it worked.
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:52 am

Hi all
Thought I'd prove that I am still spannering away.
Still at the mock up stage but close to final instal on suspension. The diff is in but the engine and box need to come out again for a gearbox mod and to fit the propshaft (had to assemble first to measure).
Started on the oil system and just about to start on the front bodywork.
All good fun
Gavin
Attachments
modsports-elan-207.jpg and
modsports-elan-206.jpg and
modsports-elan-201.jpg and
modsports-elan-195.jpg and
modsports-elan-194.jpg and
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: