Spyder +2 zetec owners on elan.net?

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:07 pm

As one of the more vocal owners of a +2 with Spyder zetec conversion I'm often sent private messages from other owners or prospective owners for my opinion or help on technical issues.
Unfortunately in the past the mere mention of replacing the hallowed Lotus twin cam with a lesser modern item has been treated with derision on here when frankly it should be embraced as an interesting subject that assists in preserving the cars that would otherwise be lost due to parts robbing most likely to be used on an Elan.

The silhouette of the +2 is an extremely elegant design and it's no wonder that there are a reasonably large group of individuals who get the Lotus heritage but don't want to be held to ransom of the extremely short service intervals inherent with classic car ownership especially of this niche hand built car.

The Spyder converted cars are far from perfect, but they are better than a non converted car in key areas if you want to use one daily or on a very regular basis and don't want to roll your sleeves up and fettle every weekend, I know that there are going to be howls of derision at that statement and that at least 3 of the thousands of +2 owners will have proof that their car has been extremely reliable only requiring fortnightly services and daily oil top ups, but please respect the needs of a new band of enthusiasts who want the classic looks without the need to swallow and memorise the workshop manual as well as try to use the dreaded search function on these otherwise excellent forums.

Therefore the reason for this post is to flush out the lurkers who either own a converted car or perhaps are attracted to the idea of a converted car, I will certainly make you welcome and there are others on here who will do the same.

Over the next few weeks I will start topics on certain aspects of Spyder converted cars, some are gripes that need solutions such as heavy steering or ride height issues, others relate to braking or engine management. Some issues have already been solved such as gear lever sizzle on the MT75 box, but it appears I'm the only owner to know about that one, there are a few solutions for brakes one of which I'm working on with another member on here via PM's.

My old mate John Pelly loved the engineering challenge of converting an Elan to run a zetec engine, he didn't manage to perfect it but had a whole load of fun doing it. When I first posted on here he said it was like a breath of fresh air to have an ally who wasn't afraid to change things and somebody he could bounce ideas off, and boy did he have some wacky ideas!

So all you zetec +2 or even zetec Elan owners, please make yourself known and let's start a proper discussion about our cars.

kindest regards

Alan Thomas ( +2 zetec and Duratec S4 Elan... Still unique... Who will join me?)
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:18 pm

Guilty as charged!

WP_000343.jpg and

John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Stratosboy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:22 pm

snap.....
elan build 2012 001.JPG and
Stratosboy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Stratosboy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:24 pm

Great idea Alan, looking forward to this and I'm sure I'll join in with some questions and who knows I may even have some answers now...nearly finished mine!
Stratosboy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:09 am

Guys

I would like to join in. As well as my Elan 1600 (26/0538 ) I have a 72 federal Sprint coupe on an early Spyder chassis (new 20 years ago). A resto that was abandond and that I picked up - it came with a Zetec not yet converted or installed.

I could use all the help I can get when I tackle this next winter.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john1180 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:08 am

Planning on installing a Zetec in my elan S3 frankencar.
john1180
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:36 am

Alan et Al.
I also have an early spyder chassis ready for modifications to take my zetec 1.8. My 74 body will sit on top. It's a long term project as I work away from home a lot.
I'd like to be included please.

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: BullAndrew » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:32 am

Alan thank you for starting this group off.

I may have been hiding in the closet, but I am now on the Zetec journey, I did post a week or so ago about having arrived at a point in my re-commissioning where I need to make the engine choice, as I have the TC and four speed and do not intend to sell them, if at a future time when the car has a different owner or I change my mind then I can sill convert back to its original engine and gearbox. But for me I like the idea of more accessible power and a five speed.

John from your photo it looks like a standard chassis that you have ? I would be interested in the engine height / mounts any of your modification photos.

I was planning to buy a new engine and then the conversion bits from Dunnell, Retro Ford or Raceline and use a Scorpio MT75.

I look forward to the future posts
Andrew
Lotus Elan+2S 1969
BullAndrew
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:21 pm

Great topic Alan. Will watch with interest. Any help on MT75 sizzle appreciated, although mine is connected to a TC.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi Alan.

And another. :D Bodgers Lad in the Zetec Elan.

Engine back in after gearbox work and a new clutch. Also Paul Dunnell dual port stat' and water rail fitted. John would have approved of Paul's work of art stat'. In fact I think he probably inspired it.
On with a few issues John had at the back of the dash then start getting it back together.

Mike :D
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:33 pm

Hi Andrew

Yes original Lotus chassis, this post has some interesting pictures for a kick off.

elan-mods-f31/zetec-engine-lotus-chassis-t24502.html

John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GHill » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:34 pm

Haha nice one Alan

I have a spyder chasis and I can certainly see the appeal of putting a zetec in there! Perhaps one day in the mean time the servicing demand is still novel and one that I'm enjoying (at the moment).

Fully behind your cause though - it's a great looking car and I want more on the road and not too fussed how they get there!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers
Gareth
To get something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done!
GHill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:12 pm

c42 wrote:Hi Andrew
Yes original Lotus chassis, this post has some interesting pictures for a kick off.
John

Hey John, I guess we haven't posted in awhile :oops: The thread and projects are still active but moving slowly at present. I'll try to bring mine up to date soon. I haven't chimed in here since there's not a Spyder part on the car.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi Bud

Last weekend I finally removed the last of the paint from the main body shell - I have to admit that it has been mind numbing! I still have some repairs that have been done by others to re do but I have more of a positive feel about that rather than rubbing off layers of old paint. When I have tissued the shell I am sure that I will feel that I am on the downhill run - or at least I hope so!

Regards
John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:27 pm

Bud English wrote:
c42 wrote:Hi Andrew
John

Hey John, I guess we haven't posted in awhile :oops: The thread and projects are still active but moving slowly at present. I'll try to bring mine up to date soon. I haven't chimed in here since there's not a Spyder part on the car.

Hi Bud and others with non Spyder zetecs!,

Please join in, I'm sure there are lots of cross over items such as the plumbing for the cooling system, the gearbox if you are not using the original items and maybe the Spyder uprights would be interesting to allow the use of alternative ventilated disc brakes and ball joints rather than trunnions. Fuel injection or Webers, all sorts of things worth discussing.

Topics I would like to start are:
1) Gear lever sizzle on MT75 gearbox
2) Alternatives or options with the brakes when using Spyder uprights and Sierra hubs
3) Steering lock and steering weight
4) related to point 3 above:- Electric Power steering
5) Ride height--- or more correctly the big gap between the tyres and the front wheel arch on the +2 Zetec
6) Ground clearance with the Spyder exhaust system

May I suggest that anyone who wants to start a discussion should post a link on this topic and that way we will all get a notification, I'm preparing my topic for point 1 above hoping to have a few photo's which I have requested from Sean at Spyder. as soon as I have posted it up on the Mods forum I will put alink here, but don't hold back if anyone wants to get the ball rolling.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: