The LED lighting thread

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:43 am

Were your incandescent (filament) lights that you were comparing against new or had they been used for awhile.

As the following link shows the incandescents quickly degrade and have a "designed" lumen output some 60% less than the initial output.

https://www.rvledbulbs.com/v/vspfiles/a ... tbulbs.pdf

The LED replacements for a 1157 (single) that I used would have had a lumens output(325) that would be a bit less than the initial incandescents(402 lumens) but would be twice the output once the incandescents had aged (161).

When I installed my LED tail/stop lights I was comparing against aged incandescents and the LED's were clearly much brighter.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:40 am

At 4000K, this bulb is rated at 675 lm. Of course, the red version has a much lower lumen rating. But they say that's always the case. The perceived brightness of the red version will look as strong, and the colour won't wash out as it comes through a red tail lens, unlike a white bulb. (They also have a 420 lm 1157 led bulb)

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... ifications
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi,
I converted my front indicators to combination driving lights/indicators. To do this I had to fit a double contact base ( to take a 1157 bulb) purchased from Holden Vintage and Classic in the UK.
I then fitted a set of these to the Amber lens. I had to cut them to fit, and use silastic to hold them in place.
https://www.customdynamics.com/led-fron ... 59?cat=622
These flat plate LEDs (48 LEDs per plate) are on at full brilliance when ever the ignition is on. When an indicator is selected, the light blinks on and off at full brilliance. The LED plate has an imbedded chip that senses the incoming indicator signal, and turns the LEDs off. This, I think, would satisfy what you are trying to achieve. The only odd thing, is that the when the front blinker is on, the rear blinker is off.
I have had this system fitted, along with all the other LED lights for the last six years or so.
Cheers,
Colin.

1owner69Elan wrote:Here's a positive earth flasher that appears to be suitable:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-ELECTRON ... 1922801187

As I mentioned my car did not come with sidelights, just a blank spot on the body. Putting an LED as a daylight running light (DRL) seems to be a reasonable addition in my case. There is no legal issue per se, so long as I shut the DRL off while signaling, as I intend to do.

Regarding the visibility of indicators, I found the following:

1. On the back lights (again Federal S4) the amber indicator lights are off until lit for a turn signal. Thus, there is a very clear demarcation on/off. Also, the red upper part is separated by a metal baffle so there is no scatter.

2. On the front indicators, a different situation. The dual circuit amber (BA 15D) incandescent gives a pretty clear demarcation between on/flashed. But the LED is more subtle, wherein the flashed indicator is only slightly brighter at least to the eye. Interestingly, the red rear lights that are also dual circuit seem fine. When the brakes are applied the difference in intensity is quite clear. But of course the brake lights are not flashed.
In fact, I am not that happy with the LED's compared to the incandescent for the front indicators even though they are brighter in static mode. When flashing indicating a turn, they definitely are not as distinct. As a result, I may likely go back to the incandescents for the front indicators. Fortunately, the flasher relays work for both types of bulb.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Meg confirms my experience......nothing gained over the incandescent's. I am sure, however, there are better LED's available now.

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:38 pm

Colin, so you've been driving without rear signals for six years?
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Or do they alternate? When front is alight rear is dark and vice versa.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Hi Searanch and Marc,
The blinkers alternate. When the front is lit, the rear is off and V.V. I have the same system on my Harley, which is where the idea came from.
I have successfully used LEDs throughout the car for many years. In my case, the LEDs are much better than the incandescents previously fitted.
I purchased most of the LEDs from Superbrightleds. The quality is good.
Cheers,
Colin.

MarkDa wrote:Or do they alternate? When front is alight rear is dark and vice versa.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:48 pm

The alternating flashers have a bonus in keeping the current almost constant, probably more vital on a bike than a car.

Regrettably, my bulbs, now I look, are pretty sooty but I have seen one of the problems with the LEDs: they sit half inside the socket which masks the light:

lamp-sunken-led-160_5733.jpg and

So I designed a little reflecting cone to drop inside the housing and push the light out and it works! Its radii are 28 mm and 15 mm and I cut it from a beer can! Fortunately the can was empty but it is a coincidence that the flat shape is a semi-circle:

lamps-the-cone-160_5735.jpg and
lamps-fitted-cone-160_5736.jpg and
lamps-tail-bulb-l-led-cone-r-160_5743.jpg and
Standard bulb on left, LED with cone on right.

I don't know the lamps of other models to advise whether they have the same problem but you can inspect your own.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:20 pm

I am just starting to study LED lights for my S4. This video from Moss Motors is 5 years old, so maybe it's getting outdated, but it helped me understand about the need for updated flashers and other things. I think the speaker is a good teacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auLY6IYeqcI
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:52 pm

Excellent presentation, the first ever Youtube video that I have not had to skip the first quarter/half or just switch off because the speaker is so boring, repetitive or drowned out by unwanted music.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:38 pm

elanfan1 wrote:Please add your knowledge of bulb holder sizes ( requote or copy/paste your additions and old posts can be deleted)

Dashboard/Instrument lamps - BA9

The ones in my Plus 2 appear to be an E10 base.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:44 pm

I would be interested to know how folk are getting on with LEDs now, some five years on since this thread was started by Steve.

A couple of situations recently have made me realise that LED bulbs in the front sidelights and rear lights could be a safe way for me to drive in daylight. I seem rarely to be out after dark in the Sprint, so am more concerned with being seen rather than seeing, as it were!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:17 pm

Hi Tim
I fitted LEDs over two years ago and have not thought about them much since then.
They are brighter and they just work.
I did all lamps on the car except headlamps and ignition warning light. I think that is fifteen in all.
I took advice from Duncan at Classic Car Leds and he supplied the correct parts. Indicators need a different relay which he also supplied. Direct plug in replacement for my S3, may be more to it if you have hazard warning. I want to change the headlamps as well but they are expensive and I never go out at night. Maybe, if one of the sealed beams fails.
So really to answer your question I am completely happy with LEDs and would not go back.
Cheers
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:05 pm

Yep - I've been using almost all LED lighting - including headlights - in my +2 for around a year and I'd recommend them. Supplier was Classic Car LEDs and all transactions with them have been smooth and trouble free. I have used 'warm white' throughout and they look in keeping with the age of the car. In fact I dont think the casual observer would know they are LED.
Headlights are brighter than the previous halogen bulbs but not a huge amount and I'm still regularly blinded by on-coming SUV's with what seems to be exploding supernova stars mounted on the front of their monsters!
I particularly appreciate the LED interior lights (once again warm white) that light up the +2 cabin just the right amount.
The only downside I have discovered is radio interference . This is quite severe with only the strongest fm stations getting through when I'm driving with the lights on. AM is not affected so much. I intend to fit ferrite beads and de-coupling capacitors to sort this out when I get round to it.
Hope that helps
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:08 pm

Tim - I have had LEDs front to back, and headlights for some time. Brilliant. I also have motor cycle led spots behind the grill to aid my visibility to others. Go for them! D
20200823_181533_001.jpg and
Attachments
LED lights.jpg and
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: