[How to] Breathe New Life Into Your Soft Top

PostPost by: Didi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:55 pm

First ... I apologize if my English is not so good, but I try to do my very best. :oops:

In principle it is the intention to driving topless as much as possible with Plus2.
The soft top is less important to me.
But sometimes it is necessary to place the roof on it, if the car is longer parked along the road (as far as I not use the tonneaucover ), or rainfall.
A soft-top looks very nice, but it has some disadvantages.
After a while it bleached by the sun, and all sorts of dirt that establish themselves on the canvas.
So, I decided last summer to reconditioning the soft top.
The canvas is a little bit old (1997).

The color was completely bleached.
Because I attaches great importance to the look of the car, I am unhappy at seeing the poor condition of the roof.
This has not been maintained in years.

I had nothing to lose, it could only get better.
Recently I have renewed the plastic windows, which are completely opaque and flimsy.

After surfing through various forums, my choice was made to use the maintenance and care products of the English manufacturer Renovo.

The material list for soft top treatment:
Renovo Canvas Cleaner
Cleaning Shampoo to carefully remove grime and ingrained dirt from canvas.
Renovo Soft Top Reviver
Re-colours and reconditions convertible tops.
Renovo Canvas Ultra Proofer
Re-establish the original 'as new' waterproof weather barrier of the convertible top.
Also I needed a hard brush, a paint brush and a small sponge, and of course, a set disposable gloves, some tape and rags.

The treatment began with a thorough cleaning with a hose, to removing the coarse dirt and dust.
While the tissue was still wet, the cleaner was applied with a paint brush.

And with a sponge, the soapy was rubbed.

After a short soaking time, which I watched that the roof will not dry up, rubbing the soapy well in the roof with a hard brush.
After a duration of action of half an hour, the soapy rinse thoroughly with water.
This step is now complete.
Before proceeding to the next step, the tissue should be dried completely. I have let it happen during the night.
The next day I started to step two, which I have taped the windows along the edges, because I do not know what impact the color gives on plastic.

This is followed by applying the coloration with a paint brush

After one hour drying time, this step is repeated.

Again, the wet hood must be dry completely, before moving on to the third and final step.
Therefore, the nights are good for.

The next day I started the impregnation.
I spent the Proofer on it, with a paintbrush, in two layers and without interval.

After applying the product, removing the tape.

After a job of some of the 4 hours, without taking into consideration the drying times, I think the result may be seen.

:wink:
--------------Greetz, Didier -------------The destination is irrelevant, when the journey is in a Lotus![/list]
Didi
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: innesw » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:52 pm

Looking very nice Didi ! I also like how your soft-top has rear quater lights, I've not seen that before. :D

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RedS4 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:40 am

Nice transformation. Well done! :D
Renovo should pay you something for such a glowing endorsement and demonstration!! :wink: 8)
Evan J
Elan S4 FHC RHD 36/8569 AND White Evora S..
RedS4
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Didi » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:15 am

thx @ all.

RedS4 wrote:...
Renovo should pay you something for such a glowing endorsement and demonstration!! :wink: 8)
Indeed, I ask them :P
--------------Greetz, Didier -------------The destination is irrelevant, when the journey is in a Lotus![/list]
Didi
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Hethel_Haus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:41 am

Didi-

I too have a cabrio topped Lotus Elan +2S. While my top has not faded quite as bad as yours, the underside in the passenger compartment is powdery and flaking off. I am thinking it may be some type of waterproofing coating but I am not sure. Just thought I'd check with you to see what yours is like. Did you have to do anything on the underside of your top?

Cheers!
Steve
Appleton, WI
'73 Elan +2S 130/5
Attachments
Cabrio Interior.JPG and
Cabrio Hood.JPG and
Steve
'73 Elan +2S 130/5 Cabriolet
Hethel_Haus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Didi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:27 am

Steve,
At the underside of the soft top is nothing done.
It's just black.
I suspect that a later treatment was performed on your car.
Didi
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: