S1 Elan

PostPost by: AlfaLofa » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:56 pm

Just joined the forum.

Here's a pic of my '64 S1 which I have owned since March 1973.
Attachments
NoNumberPlate.jpg and
Last edited by AlfaLofa on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
'64 S1 Elan (Owned since '73)
'69 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce (Owned since '77)
'70 Morris Minor 1000 (Owned since '85)
AlfaLofa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:54 pm

That looks superb...more photos please of front, engine bay and interior! S1s seem to be very thin on the ground in the UK now, so it's very good to see such a well cared for example. There are quite a few of us on the forum who have had their Elans for over 30 years, and quite a few who haven't reached the age of 30 yet, so it's a good mixed set of views. The forum has certainly re-kindled my enthusiam for the marque, and I'm sure that you'll find plenty to keep your interest up. Welcome!
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Vanden Perre » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:55 pm

:D
Looks beautiful!!! Just one question. Did you do something special to make the door flush with the bodywork? I haven't seen much Elan like this and certainly not my S3 coupe.
Olivier.
Vanden Perre
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AlfaLofa » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:29 pm

Olivier,

I think it must be a trick of the light!

The door fitting is standard. During the restoration I bonded in new bottom door hinges for both doors - but otherwise the doors are unchanged.

I'm glad you like the car - I think it turned out OK. My major regret is that I didn't replace the bonnet. The original, which is still fitted, has become warped along one side causing it to sit high where it adjoins the off-side wing.

It will probably stay unchanged now - I really don't think I can be bothered to either modify the existing bonnet and respray or get a replacement.

Also I was unable to get a replacement oiled-teak dash - the original having been bored by numerous wood worms - and by me fitting extra switches, warning lights, etc in my younger days. Consequently the new dash doesn't match the original glove box door - but hey who cares. I don't.

Steve
Attachments
FrontNearSide.jpg and
Interior.jpg and
Engine.jpg and
rearang.jpg and
Steve
AlfaLofa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:08 pm

Superb.

Hope you will attend one of the Lotus shows to let us all have a look see in the flesh as it were.

Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:59 pm

Steve, Olivier beat me to the perfect door post. I have been told that the earlier molds were good and the longer they were used the more out of shape they got. I have no idea of the real truth.
My doors before the weather stripping was installed looked more like yours, until the weather strips were installed. Now they stick out a little. You are very lucky!!
My dash was done in San Jose CA. by the best, Randy Keller, in African rosewood. Randy has all of the templates for the elans and can add for other instruments. Problem is he in the US and I don't know what it might cost. He does do oiled finishes in almost any wood. A few pictures of my doors and a Randy made dash.
Here are a couple of sites I was able to find.
http://pages.cthome.net/BobD/prestige_a ... d_trim.htm
http://pages.cthome.net/BobD/Brochure.htm
You will enjoy the forum.
Sarto
Attachments
DSC00275.JPG and
Felt lucky until the weather stripping was installed.
DSC00023.JPG and
Completely sealed front and back, no more moisture damage.
Last edited by mac5777 on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:40 pm

Early doors almost always fit better. Early bonnets/hoods almost always develop issues on the side 1/2 down they split or crack here and then b/c of the tension , bow. At least from my experience observations with the four type 26's I have owned ( an S1, an S1 1/2, and 2 S2's)

I have a oiled teak dash that is surplus to my needs, its LHD however .....
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AlfaLofa » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:50 pm

Cabc26b

You are spot on regarding my bonnet/hood. The RH side is bowed a good half inch above the wing at about mid point. The left hand side is also bowed but not by as much.

I suppose I could say it's part of the character of the car - but it doesn't look too good.

Can you enlighten me regarding the spec of an S1 1/2???

I think my car could be described as such - perhaps because I have the glove box with lid. The box is definitely original as it shares the same key as the ignition.

The main S1 characteristics include the rear lights, twin springs at the front of the bonnet, black instument bezels, battery behind the passenger seat, "Elan 1600" badging, radiator, push/pull windows, etc.

(Were the same bonnet, bezels, battery, radiator and windows also found on the S2????????)

Also - you've certainly had your share of 26s!!!!!!

Steve
Last edited by AlfaLofa on Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
AlfaLofa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:02 pm

Steve,

S 1 1/2 are the transistion cars between S1 and S2. As lotus depleted the parts stocks and or had the new parts then they placed them onto the last 100 or so cars before S2 was officially introduced.

My S1 3777 was clearly an S1 with some of the features you describe -

I am currently working on 3808 - and this is a tranistion car - for instance It has the S2 dash ( chrome bezels - I like the black better BTW) , battery box behind seat, early windowpulls, 3 tail lamps ( fed spec) Early ped box. small front calipers etc. - this car is a California black plate car - it is virtually rust free with all the numbers matching ( Frame, body and engine) per factory information. Btw - the head is a diecast one .

What unit number is your's ?

The marston rad's lasted quite awhile and may not have been replace until S3. Window pulls Changed to a cast one's early on .

Hope this helps -
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AlfaLofa » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:11 pm

Cabc26b,

The chassis number is 26/0650.

You jogged my memory on a couple of points - i.e. the car used to have the small front calipers - I changed them for the bigger units. Also, of course the S1 and S2 dash were very different in so much as the S2 was full width - unlike mine which has a separate glove box.

My car also has the weird intermediate drive shafts which take rear discs with the different PCD. The rear hub castings are also the early type.

There are also lots of other little items - such as the window pulls you mention and the heater take-off - which I managed to replace with an identical item from a contempory LandRover.

Steve
Steve
AlfaLofa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:29 pm

Steve, I believe that your number would place your car in S1 range since it is earlier than a car I use to own that did not have the cross over features ( my late s1 also had a door for the glove box)
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:48 pm

cabc26b wrote:S 1 1/2 are the transistion cars between S1 and S2. As lotus depleted the parts stocks and or had the new parts then they placed them onto the last 100 or so cars before S2 was officially introduced.
My S1 3777 was clearly an S1 with some of the features you describe -
I am currently working on 3808 - and this is a tranistion car - for instance It has the S2 dash

I didn't realize S1's had S2 parts, I know the early S2's had S1 parts, I have #26/3944 which is #44 of S2 production, S2's starting at #3901.
It has several S1 parts including the larger brake/clutch pedals, smaller callipers, rear disc's with the different PCD holes and the S1 rear lights/battery behind seat etc. One of the Lotus books (Robinshaw I think?) refer to these cars saying the first 250 (approx) S2's had these S1 parts. I thought these were the cars refered to as S1 1/2's.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AlfaLofa » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:08 am

Yes, the unit number must be the only piece of information used to determine whether a car is an S1 or S2.

When you think about it, there can not be many cars out there which during their production run haven't had minor changes made to the interior trim or lights or whatever before finally introducing a different body shape and calling it the Mark II.

Ok - I don't think the body shape changed until the S3 came along - but presumably Lotus wanted to join the masses by introdcing a Mark II on the cheap !!

Besides the obvious coupe roof, what other differences are there between the S1 body shell and later models?

For starters the S1 (and presumably S2) has non flared wheel arches, a different front undertray, a different bonnet and the obviously different boot lid and suround.

Steve
Steve
AlfaLofa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:49 pm

Doors are different, rear deck ( space between boot/trunk opening) and I am not sure , but there may be some differences in the winshield surround , I remember the early windshields not being the same size as the later ones. There may be more changes around the rear of the car, but I have not spent too much time aroundd the later cars..
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:45 pm

Just about to purchase some new light fittings for my S1.

The picture of the rear lights on this S1 appear to show the two types to be different diameters, the indicators being smaller than the red stop/tail?

Is this correct?

It seems the L539 series only comes in 85mm OD, so what's the story here - are the stop / tail a different lamp reference number or type?

RSVP

Regards,

Phil.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: