S4 FHC soon to be DHC : Please see new MODS forum for update

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:46 pm

Okay I admit I have the bug now, not only do I have a Spyder converted +2, but I now have an S4 FHC that requires saving. I haven't quite decided what direction to go regarding colour or use for road or track, but it will definitely be losing a few pounds when the roof is removed to change into a DHC.

I have done a deal with Spyder to start the work early April with a hopefully late summer delivery date, please keep an eye on this thread as I will be updating once there's some progress.
01 s4 fhc.jpg and

02 s4 fhc.jpg and

03 s4 fhc.jpg and

Regards
Last edited by Spyder fan on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:36 pm

Why chop the Top Alan?

I like the FHC & if I was going to use it on the Track I'd hang on to that Roof.
I don't have any Figures but the car should be more slippery than the DHC; after all the 26R's have a hard top fitted & in the case of S1's definitely not because of the improved looks.
Are you sure that there will be a weight saving by going soft top? I don't think there will be much in it.
On the subjective side of things, Cabrio's here & I'm sure also in GB have a Poser's Car image. :roll:
More interesting is, will it be Zetec'd by Spyder?
If so I'll be interested to see what they do with their Coolant Rail & Thermostat due to the Cooling System being different to that of the +2.

Nix f?r ungut
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi John,
My wife has insisted that stage 2 of my mid life crisis must be a DHC as she wants to drive it herself (hence the girly soft top), the problem is that all the project DHC's are no longer in the ?5k ballpark and have moved up to at least ?7k for a car that may not be totally complete. I have until May to convince her to keep it a coupe, although I do find the coupe a bit cramped or claustrophobic after being used to a +2. If it goes DHC I will use a hard top for track and inclement weather.

I'm looking at Duratec or Honda VTEC first, before going the zetec route again, I checked a Honda S2000 and it has the exhaust ports on the opposite side to a twincam or zetec and I'm getting negative don't think it can be done feedback from Spyder. BUT as you know, the zetec suits the Elan really well and is a similar weight etc so perhaps I should leave re-inventing the wheel to someone else with less sense or greater engineering skills or most importantly more money than me!

Not starting until April, so plenty of time for head scratching and soul searching about chopping a type 36.....

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:41 pm

I think we've discussed the use of engines with the Exhaust Ports on the "wrong side" before.
I consider the use of one of those types of Engines beyond my own capabilities because of the problems involved with the Exhaust Manifold & routing of the rest of the system(s)
For that reason alone the Duratec is for me a "no go". However I'd like to know if the Porting on the Honda S2000 is on the "correct side". I think it should be, it being fitted longitudinally in a Japanese designed Car & therefore basically conceived for RHD.
I think it's a great Engine having had a close look at it when it was introduced.
Unfortunately I can't remember the Cylinder Head configuration.
Spyder were a bit quick to say "we don't think it can be done"
Maybe they could use some help in developing the conversion? :wink: :wink:
Just for a laugh I've attached some Photos of an Evante into which the owner had "Stuck" a Zetec.
I still can't figure out why he went for such an outrageous Exhaust System, well I suppose it matches all of the other Bodges :roll:
Please excuse the false Captions on the Photos

Cheers
John
Attachments
Evante Zetec4.jpg and
Remote Reservoirs2.jpg and
Evante Zetec3.jpg and
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:53 pm

John,
I'm afraid that these pictures bust your theory about S2000 engines, I would dearly love to see the look on peoples faces if I could shoehorn the stonking motor in the first picture into an S4.
s2000 engine bay.jpg and

s2000 engine.jpg and

Maybe I should set a challenge for suitable engine swap suggestions. Perhaps affordable options ie. less than the cost of buying and re-building a LTC and more extreme engines as well?

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:14 pm

Well that's put my mind at rest; so the S2000 Engine was designed the "wrong way around" to suit the rest of the World.
I don't think there's a chance in Hell of getting that into an Elan.

Why not buy her indoors an S2000 & rebuild the S4 as a Track Car :lol:

John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:40 pm

Re the Evante:
1. That was a hell of a low bridge. :roll:
2. Is that a spark plug in the exhaust to ignite un-burned fuel? :twisted:

There are loads of Minis running around with v-tec motors; keep the Elan as it is and buy a Mini! :wink:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi Pete,
I promise I will strongly resist any temptation to take into account other peoples opinions as I undertake this little bout of retro-modding :wink:

All protests will be gratefully received and sniggered at :lol:

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:17 pm

What about a Cosworth from the Sierra...turbocharged of course! 250 bhp in mild-ish tune, with 350 bhp and it's still street-able, and anything upto 550bhp if you like. Should make the old girl sit up and go!

I'd be interested in buying the original engine if you do change it....and I have an original S4 hood frame spare, the proper 'D' section one.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:31 pm

elansprint71 wrote:Re the Evante:
1. That was a hell of a low bridge. :roll:
2. Is that a spark plug in the exhaust to ignite un-burned fuel? :twisted:

There are loads of Minis running around with v-tec motors; keep the Elan as it is and buy a Mini! :wink:

1. That happened during a wet Qualifying at Mallory. It was in more of a mess than that Photo shows.
The Owner told me he was going to Bin it.
2. I'd hazard a guess that it's blanking off a Hole intended for a Lambda Sensor but in that Bodge up
who knows. :roll:

Oh dear, I wonder what the Mini Purists think of such an abomination.
How could anyone do that to such a "classic" :twisted:
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:What about a Cosworth from the Sierra...turbocharged of course! 250 bhp in mild-ish tune, with 350 bhp and it's still street-able, and anything upto 550bhp if you like. Should make the old girl sit up and go!

I'd be interested in buying the original engine if you do change it....and I have an original S4 hood frame spare, the proper 'D' section one.

Mark

Whatever happened to the Guy who posted his plans on here to do exactly that Engine swap?
Perhaps his Brain burst.
Nevertheless a feasible alternative, it's been done often enough in 7 derivatives but that Engine would most likely cost much more than a Twin Cam rebuild.

John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:17 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:

Mark

Mark,
I have sent you a pm
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:55 pm

Bleedin heck! The things some of you guys get up to! :P

What's wrong with the standard car? And what's all this with the girly/poseur comments re DHCs?

Keep it original.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:12 pm

Tim,

I couldn't live with an original car, in any case I enjoy the controversy :wink: Mrs T (Er indoors) wants a DHC, so thats what she will get, even though I have to upset a few purists by chopping the roof off a type 36 for which I am righteously ashamed about (not!).

Whats so special about original cars anyway? Are they faster? Are they Mrs T proof? Do you like anoraks? :twisted:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:10 pm

Haha.I can't work out what is more sacrilegous, dropping another modern lump in there or chopping its top off. Make sure you pick a non-Lotus colour as well.
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: