lotus paint

PostPost by: blansk » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:27 pm

I have a 1967 lotus elan S3 SE originally painted a mid/light blue. I am not sure which one, want to match it; lotusElan.net colour section doesnt seem to load all the colours, does anyone know the codes for Medici blue (I think it might be that) please? Just in case, French blue too!

thanks
blansk
New-tral

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Try Jerry's Europa page, looks like he has collected a bunch of Europa colors and paint codes.

http://lotus-europa.com/colors.html

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:44 pm

Ahh, my favourite topic. It gives me a chance to post yet another picture of my car :lol: :lol:

Mine is the car closest to the camera and is Wedgewood blue whilst the other is a darker French blue.

Jason
Attachments
car paint.jpg and
IMG_0008.JPG and
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:00 am

There is no code for Medici Blue -

you may have to work up custom formula like I had to , do you have 6"x6" (150mmX150mm) sample for the paint guys to shoot ?
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:31 am

The only other info I have on Medici, from a mate who recently had his car re-painted, is that it was a Rover colour from the late 50s or early 60s called River Blue. Must have been a strange looking river.

A couple of other thoughts...Cabc26b....will your bodyshop give you the formulation for the colour? It may also be worth contacting Miles Wilkins to see if he has a code or formulation...he's painted a lot of Elans in his time. Sue Miller likewise, if she can dig out information from Micks old files.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:06 pm

Mark and blansk -

I am the body-shop on this one so, getting the formula is not a problem, it will be for/in PPG concept - for a pint :

DMC900 - 446.8
DMC904 - 83.5
DMC937 - 40.9
DMC901 - 60.1

I think i posted a picture of sample with the car before the paint process over in the for sale section under an odd topic, you can see it there and decide if its what you need - this picture was shot with a fuji camera, I have others shot with a Ziess lens on Sony electronics , looks different, I think I may have to shoot it with a lieca with agfa film for grins to see if the color changes again......

Keep in mind the sample was only color sanded and cleaned up a little bit with 3M perfect-it 2 the finished product should have a bit more truness to the blue ( less milky...)
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:19 pm

why not take Mick Jagger's advice? :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:45 am

You can't always get what you want.......but you just might find....... :twisted:

I have access to a PPG paint database, and the info on the old colors is hit and miss, some are there, some are not.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:53 am

elansprint71 wrote:why not take Mick Jagger's advice? :twisted:

"paint it black"? seems like he "(can't get) no satisfaction", :lol:

I'm prepared for the "get off of my cloud" as a response to this :roll:

:we need more smileys!!!:
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:47 pm

Here is a good paint code list but still no Medici blue :cry:

http://www.elanfactory.com.au/pdf/techn ... 0Codes.pdf

I got it from an old post on this forum :)

Jason[/url]
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:26 am

All,

I stumbled across the cross ref for medici once upon a time ( 2 series one cars ago ) and it was a pinchin ref. (Sp?) the code was not able to be translated into any quality paint ( PPG, Sikkens, BASF, ICI). This time i shot the color off a sample.

however, when I asked the lotus archivist about light blues lotus used , he mentioned a powder blue color that was also used by triumph/BMC. - The old bmc colors are on line on one of the big paint and body shop sites , you can look by year and manufacturer backinto the 50's you might have to jump around a bit between mfg and years , but you may be able to find something that is close and then work up a formula to match from there.

if you post a picture of the color I may be able to direct you - medici is the hardest to find elsewhere , the others ( french and wedgewood ) are likley to be found on a BMC Rover etc chip page .
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: