New Blue Paint ( Medici)

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:40 pm

Ok Mark ?

I finally got around to spraying the CBU on my s1 ? - I finished the paint up about 4 hours ago ? I rolled her outside for a couple of shots and took off some masking and placed the front bumper in the slot for contrast ( I am not using the OEM silver, but one that is closer to a Porsche Zermat silver . I painted the Hardtop to match the bumpers color -i may end up shooting the wheels this color also -
Attachments
BlueCbu.JPG and
is it medici or papa smurf !
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:41 pm

More
Attachments
blueNose .JPG and
BlueTail.JPG and
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:56 am

Beautiful. A lovely combination of colours.
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:49 am

That is going to be beautiful when it's done.

cabc26b wrote: I am not using the OEM silver, but one that is closer to a Porsche Zermat silver . I painted the Hardtop to match the bumpers color -i may end up shooting the wheels this color also -

I have been thinking along the same lines for my eventual body makeover: a slightly darker red paired with a slightly darker silver on bumpers, hard top and wheels. The "Titanium" color on my bicycle is what I have in mind...
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:40 pm

Looking really sharp...what a great colour. Like your car, the Medici I've seen in the flesh have an almost pearlescent quality in certain light...a couple of your pictures show that up. I guess it's the white pigments reflecting the light somehow.

I hope that the engine bay will be satin black though :P
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:55 pm

Mark -

Good call on the white content - there is a ton of it in the make up. Not to worry about engine bay - it is painted matt black epoxy, I will have some touch up there as the blue managed to slip under the masking . the blue you see is for where the body wraps into the engine bay .

Can't make up my mind on the fender wells though - black, blue of lt gray

I will post some more shots after I color sand and buff.
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:48 pm

I think that the fender wells look best when they can't be seen...so I do them in a satin black. If they are the same colour as the body or a light colour, it detracts from the overall shape of the car, to me at least. I'd also loose the floor lip under the sill with satin black.

And now for a vision of the future....
Mark
Attachments
z040707 030.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:00 am

Andrew -

I agree , it was pretty hard to go with the original color given the options you have with new paints ( the silvers are pretty amazing) the picked a true silver, it may not show up as light as it is in the photo - it was odd paint to work with because of the amount of particals/solids suspended in the urathane. It took the purchase of a very expensive LVLP gun that was able to "fog" that suff on - i am sure base clear would have been easy to apply - but had to try it "old school".

Mark - agree black wells make them disappear - but the oem treatment appears to be have been a combo of overspray and the gray-ish gellcoat / release agent in use on the molds - The lip that lets you know when to stop washing the car will be black, but gloss , not satin, satin does not look right there , but will be great in the fender wells -
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: