My S2 restoration is done (for now)

PostPost by: posulliv » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:16 pm

Pics of my S2 after nine years off the road and nearly as many years of restoration work. It's everything I remember it being.
Attachments
Elan9.jpg and
Elan8.jpg and
Elan7.jpg and
Elan6.jpg and
Elan5.jpg and
Elan3.jpg and
Elan2.jpg and
Elan1.jpg and
posulliv
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:08 pm

And then Some....

Super Job -

George

PS what dye did you use on the interior ( I am assumeing its the kit supplied by Frank)
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:37 pm

Looks absolutely stunning with the red interior....and perfect with the steels / hubcaps!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: posulliv » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:03 am

George:

It is the Famous Frank interior dyed with SEM Colortone in Portola Red. We were able to match an unfaded portion of the original seats and the color is spot on.

Mark:

I like it with the steel wheels as well. I've been running it on the steel wheels but they seem to work loose at the factory torque specs. I have a couple of spares from the PO that are split around the lug seats and I'm afraid to ruin the rest. Any suggestions?
posulliv
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:41 am

That's a lovely car and you can be justifiably proud of all your hard work in the restoration. I especially like the detailing on the earlier cars like yours, such as the rear lights the steel wheels with hub caps and that lovely red interior, very nice detailing to the engine bay as well.

I quite like the Minilite wheels too, hope you can sort out your steel wheel problems, then maybe you can keep the minilites for track days with nice soft rubber (if you are in to that sort of thing).
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:01 am

Superbe !
You have the open version of mine , and in "as new" condition ...
After so many time working on it , having from now only to "clean & shine" , if you are searching for some distraction for the next years , I accept an exchange !
Congratulations ,
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:28 am

Old English White wrote:Superbe !
You have the open version of mine , and in "as new" condition ...
After so many time working on it , having from now only to "clean & shine" , if you are searching for some distraction for the next years , I accept an exchange !
Congratulations ,
Christian.

I would swap it for my +2 as well!

But he would have to do something with the steering wheel to make it like this :lol:
Elan9.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:33 pm

As I pulled my Elan into the display area for Series 1 &2 Elans at the LOG 29 Concours at Barber Motorsports Park, I had high hopes for a first place award. My friend Peter Egan had not yet finished his lovely car as anticipated and I hadn't seen any other remarkable Elans in the hotel carpark. Puffed out chest I looked around at this perfect white S2 coming out of a trailer behind me. It was Patrick O'Sullivan's car pictured here. The more I looked the smaller my chances looked. Sure enough, Patrick won a deserved first place in the category :oops: even though he is too modest to admit it. It is even more spectacular in person believe me.

Net result, I have to say I took second...but then Patrick was third from last place awarded and I was second from last :twisted: :lol:
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:40 pm

Patrick,

Regarding the torque on the wheel nuts; I have found that they need to be re-torqued about three or four times and then hold. they will be fine with 35-40 foot pounds of torque if you have the original 3/8 inch studs. Don't use more that 45 foot pounds in any case or you will damage them. HTH. Ross
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:17 am

Looking over this posting from last year I see nyloc nuts on the exhaust manifold.

Wouldn't the heat burn or melt the nylon?
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: posulliv » Mon May 31, 2010 6:00 pm

They only look like nylocs. The exhaust nuts are elliptically elastic stop nuts, no nylon insert in them.
posulliv
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rjaxe » Mon May 31, 2010 6:33 pm

What a great looking car, modern efforts simply do not have the "wow" factor. Just over the weekend of my daughters wedding and she insisted that my Plus 2 was there for the photo backdrop. Parked it in front of the manor house and there was a constant stream of questions: where did you hire it from? how can I get one? etc the guests could not believe it was the bride's dad's car. I think we Elan owners are lucky guys to own such magnificent cars long may we enjoy them.
Richard
rjaxe
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: