Bleached rocker switches on the dash - a solution

PostPost by: Roy Gillett » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:13 pm

I thought it would be useful to pass on a great tip for rejuvenating the black rocker switches on the dash. It was passed on to me by another Elan owner and he in turn got it from the radio controlled model builders. I am not sure how widely known it is in the Elan community.

I have tried all sorts of potions and products to try to get my switches back to a good matt black without lasting success (sometimes withour aby success!) The best I had found to date was boot polish but it didn't last.

This tip involves the use of 'Dylon' fabric dye - simple as that. You need the hand dying Velvet black, ?2.35 from all good hardware shops ( sorry I don't know if you have this in the USA and Oz but I am sure there is a similar product). I made mine up about 4 times the strength they reccommend and added the salt as per instructions. Stir it into solution and you are ready to go. I cleaned the switches with methylated spirits using a cotton bud, let hem dry and then applied the dye again with a cotton bud. I kept recoating as it dried for about 10 minutes and then left the switches to dry. Hey presto beautifully even matt black switches looking better than they ever have before in my 15 years of ownership.

It really is that simple. They do not shed colour onto your fingers when used and I am assured the effect lasts a very long time. (Even if it doesn't I have 125ml of solution left and re-coating them would only take a couple of minutes.)

I do like it when a plan comes together. Having fitted a new dash the switches were starting to let the appearance down. :lol:

Roy
Roy Gillett
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:40 am

Thanks very much, Roy. Much appreciated.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a comparable product in North America? :mrgreen:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:19 am

Roy, great suggestion. Can you post some photos of the finished product. My own memories of using Dylon dyes involved boiling solution and salt, so just to clarify, no need to boil the rockers?

Regards
Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:44 pm

I bought a product from a place in Toronto.
Parasol Inc, www.parasolinc.com

Plastikprep item #APLPR-250 $19.95
Varibond S 9005 Item #AVRB-250 $19.95
Plastic Care Item #PLCA (P) $4.95
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roy Gillett » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:48 pm

gerrym wrote:Roy, great suggestion. Can you post some photos of the finished product. My own memories of using Dylon dyes involved boiling solution and salt, so just to clarify, no need to boil the rockers?

Regards
Gerry

No boiling required. (But I am finding a little bit of dye on my fingers in use now.)

Roy
Roy Gillett
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: