+2 front seats.....

PostPost by: peterako » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:39 pm

Hi all,

Sorry, I know that this has been done in one form or another nearly to death....but....

OK, it has been mentioned that MX5 seats are a good alternitve to the +2 front seats.

I have also seen Audi Quatro front seats in a +2 (resulting in no headroom!).

Some questions:

1. Has anyone made a short list of candidates for alternative front seats that would not drastically detract from the classic look....?

2. Are the standard (latter) +2 front seats bespoke for Lotus or do they come from another parts bin??

I am considering changing my front seats and older MGB seats look like a good candiats, they are real leather, and very comfortable....

One problem for me is that my interior is Oatmeal, which I like for a number of reasons including the fact that they stay cooler in the summer!

If I had a black interior choices may be broadened....

Thanks in advance,
Peter '73 +2S 130/5
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:34 pm

I have identified these seats as looking likely candidates for my onw car in terms of retaining a fairly classic look but having headrests and a tilt fwd facility. However just noticed the end of your post and the oatmeal interior which is a bummer as these ones are only available in black :(

https://www.europaspares.com/SEATS/CORB ... _3598.html
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexkirkham » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Fiat X1/9 seats are cheap, low, very comfortable, easy to fit, adjustable and come in tan leather or black...

alex
alexkirkham
New-tral

PostPost by: fluff » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:49 pm

This might be a bit over te top, but I'm quite tall 6'4", and to keep it Lotus I've got black leather elise seats in my +2. They give me just enough room to wear a 'bash hat' on a track day, and look reasonably factory. Unfortunately never got round to making a tipping frame for them but I reckon it's do-able, the drivers side gives enough adsjustment to get a 5'2"shorty to drive aswell.
fluff
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:18 am

Hello Peter, The only possible seat replacements I've found that are more comfortable than my original +2 seats are what I'd call modern looking. The MGB idea is probably the best for an original "look" but they're a bit tall at the base, do the old leather ones flip forward? That's an excellent upgrade for a +2. How important is the color match? What shape are your seats in?
My short list would be twenty or thirty cars deep as far as possible modern upgrades. I'd take your seat measurements in hand to a local (if you have them near a bog) junkyard and start shopping. Check the mounting rails for simplicity. Here in the USA the best choices by far are Japanese.
On your second point, I'll guess the seats are Lotus only, a rare item indeed, maybe TVR or some other small outfit shared them but....who??? Low to the floor light weight simple design, Lotus.

Good Luck, Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:32 am

Thanks Eric, Alex, Fluff and Jono!

My seats are repairable.

The driver's seat frame had broken so many times that the previous owners have nearly more weld than original metal on it! Also the ratchet is wrecked.

As a result I have switched seats over and am now driving in the passenger seat (moved to the driver's side!) and the old driver's seat is held upright with some wood....

Now the vinyl is starting to wear/tear. So I will have to get them rebuilt at some stage sooner now than later.

The Fiat seats sound like a good option.

I'm 6'1" but tend to have my seat quite far back (further than my 6'4" little brother and taller cousins...maybe it's because of my huge backside?).
And I have just the right headroom. So height of the seat is important.

I never tip my seats to get the kids in teh back. They always crawl in over the centre tunnel.

I think that the MGB seats do tilt. And I know that the pre-rubber bumper ones look great and are very comfortable!

So junkyard, eBay and'pointed-out-links research is now needed from me.

Thank you, a lot, guys for bouncing some ideas back to me!

Take care,
Peter '73 +2S 130/5
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Uboat » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:34 am

I have also considered other seats to my Elan +2 130/5 from 1974, who are also oatmeal. Although they are quite comfortable, I am beginning to feel the springs through the fabric.

However, my first reaction on the seats was the ridiculous head rests situated on the back end of the seats, which provides no support at all. How did the designer think?
Uboat
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotuselan2 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:16 pm

Uboat, the headrest can be a whiplash preventer in case of being rear-ended, not for normal "resting" while driving which is more likely to result in being front-ended.

I had my original seats re-webbed and re-stuffed for $250. They are quite comfy now.
Ken
'69 Lotus Elan +2 with Cosworth BDR
'84 Ferrari 400i
'94 Subaru SVX
'04 Audi allroad
lotuselan2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:22 pm

Peter...the Recaro style seats in my XJR-s are the most comfy I have ever sat in...more so that my more modern XK....and I have seen XJS seats in a Plus 2. I'm also 6ft 4inches, and have travelled over 800 miles in a day in these seats...and done a days work on top. As you tall blokes know, the old back can give up long before you get tired.

They are very low on their mounting frames, with excellent lumber support and a long base, supporting the middle of the legs well. And they tilt forward for access to the rear.

Mark
Attachments
zseat1.jpg and
zseat2.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: zeteclotus » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:07 pm

jag seats in my old zetec
Attachments
insideseats.JPG and
zeteclotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:12 pm

Now those do look good!! I think we might have a candidiate for the best alternative plus 2 seats
Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Hi all.

So where can I get some?

From the above posts I've deduced that it's the front seats from the Jag XJS that are a good fit. Is this correct?

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:47 pm

Sean
Scrapyard time or one of the on line scarpyard merchants. There are some on EBay at the moment in the right sort of colour you are looking for going pretty cheap. In fact the light browns seem to be selling alot cheaper than black ones!
Andy
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:44 pm

Be careful that you get the right ones....pre-87 (I think) xjs had the non- recaro type...pretty much a normal car seat, but still very comfortable. The recarro shape with the sticking out wings is pretty obvious...just don't assume that all XJS are the same.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:07 pm

As a matter of interest then, would the non-recaro ones still fit and look right?
Andy
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: