Headlamp Microswitch(es)

PostPost by: kcrossle » Thu May 21, 2009 1:41 am

1969 Federal Plus 2

There are two (2!) microswitches in the headlamp On/ Off and vacuum assembly. I have no record of what was connected, but one connector is broken on mine. I was looking to repair / replace the switch when I looked at a wiring diagram and it seems, in the diagram, to be a simple, binary, on / off switch.

Why are there two switches? What, if anything, else is connected?

Thanks

Keith
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Thu May 21, 2009 11:46 am

Hi,

They are standard microswitches available off the shelf for next to nothing. In the UK companies such as RS sell them. You can buy them rated at different amps, and I just got the highest.

I cannot remember why now but you do need two, and they do need to be three connection versions. If I remember why I will post again, but they are so cheep it is not worth worrying about. When I worked out how the lighting circuit worked, I remember thinking is was quite clever.

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Thu May 21, 2009 12:58 pm

Thanks David.... please remember! :-)
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu May 21, 2009 8:18 pm

Kieth:

The short answer is one micro-switch controls the headlight relay actuation and the other micro-switch controls the side light relay circuit. I am on a mobile device without cut/paste; when I get to a proper keyboard I can explain further.

I am assuming your Federal car is the same as mine, with the micro-switches integral to the vacuum light switch assembly, the flat style dash switches, and the side light switch is an intermitent on spring loaded switch. If this is the case, check out my December 8th 2008 post on Plus 2 forum to the thread named "Side Light". It provides a wiring diagram, explanation of side light circuit logic, references in workshop manual, and Allied Electronics P/N for the exact replacement switches you need. If you are re-wiring completely at this time, I would recommend changing the circuit(s), but I will explain later if you like.

Please note this all applies to the Federal setup, which appears to be different from what the UK cars got, so I flound some of the archive info a bit confusing at first. PM me if you like if you need more detail. Will be checking emails on weekend.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Fri May 22, 2009 11:43 am

Hi,

I have remembered a bit more...... One microswitch bypasses the side light switch, so you get your rear lights working when you turn on your headlights without having to turn on the sidelights! The other switch earth's both the two headlight relays. Which relay is actuated is dependent on the column stalk position.

I cannot remember why you need a three contact microswitch, but is might be nothing more than the two contact versions are "push to break" and we need "push to make"

Hope this makes sense!

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Fri May 22, 2009 12:17 pm

Thanks, Stu and David. It always helps to simply understand what's going on.

It has been so long since I drove the car I'd forgotten about the various permutations of what can go on or off. My memories from being a kid in England in the '50s and '60s is such a contrast to here and now. Then there was this curious thing where the time of day to light up (have headlights on) was published in the daily paper and lights would not go on a minute too soon. Nowadays all lights are on all day long.

Keith
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: