lifting body of a plus 2 update

PostPost by: bob_rich » Sat May 15, 2010 5:47 pm

HI

Following my earlier request for advise on a similarly titled thread I have prepared for the lift as follows. I got the car body disconnected from the chassis OK I have jacked it up clear of the chassis by a round 6" using the the jacking point on the sill members. I then position blocks so I could remove the jacks. I have then made up two bars that locate in the jacking points and these are linked by a 2" scaffold pole on which I hope to have 3 people ( on each side so 6 in all). a right angle strap should prevent any rotation of the bars in the side member jacking point so avoiding trapped fingers.

The picture shows the boot and bonnet in place but these will be taken off before the lift. I have checked the weights of some items and the details are
Boot Lid = 12lbs; Bonnet = 22lbs Doors ( all innards removed) = 15.5lbs

The body seemed adaquately stiff and I was able to replace, on one side, a single jack stood on some bathroom scales and took the weigh. I then repeated this on the other side and got a similar weight.
allowing for the weight of the jack, the boot and bonnet and doors I estimate the body weight alone to be 275lbs. The added lifting bars and pole were 21lbs each so my 6 people have got to lift 317lbs or 53lbs each.

I reckon that should be OK but any (useful!!) comments would be welcome

regards

Bob
Attachments
P5150063.JPG and
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat May 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi Bob,
Looks like you are well prepared for the lift - one other suggestion.........
If you are going to need to move the body around after removal you might want to make up a simple wooden trolley so you can drop it straight on and secure it through the mounting bobbins. Then it can be pushed around safely single handed if your lifting team is not available.

Regards,
Attachments
Body refurb 004.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Fri May 21, 2010 7:01 am

Hi

Lift went OK. with 3 people on each side it came away cleanly ( (in the prep I had made sure the stiction was broken so the chassis though under the car was actually "free to roll" so to speak). the guys lifting said it was no trouble at all to get it to chest height then just walked it over to a wooden platform I had lashed up where it will reside until it goes of to the body shop.

Only problem was the memory card on the video recorder failed so the lift video cut out just as they lifted it!!

reckon my weight estimate on the earlier post must be about right.

thanks to all on this and the previous posts for all the advise.

If anyone would like to borrow the lifting bars I made up and they want to come and collect them PM me and we can arrange something.

regards

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Fri May 21, 2010 10:45 am

Congratulations on a successful lift, hope mine goes that smoothly next saturday.

By the way, I have sent you a pm regarding the bars :)

Cheers
Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: