Plus 2 Bumpers

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:33 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:Nathan just told me the story about Colin Chapman and Frank Costin building the elite prototype in a lock up garage-Fantastic![/i]
Mark

Mark,
Thanks for passing along the Elite news, now I'll have to ask D. Mousley if they are reproducing the grille surround as well. Building the prototype Elite was quite a story. Chapman did rent a lockup, I believe from Progress Chassis to keep the project secret in the run up to the Earls Court show (1956?). I bet that Chapman's involvement was limited to twice daily lashings of the lads to get it done. Frank Costin's involvement was to modify Peter Kirwan-Taylor's body design to add Kamm effect to the tail. As we all know it was Frank's brother, Mike Costin, who was the real hands-on man at Lotus.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:37 pm

John Frayling was the other main man involved in the Elite design (Whilst moonlighting from Ford)

For those of you with time to spare I would recommend a read on www.autosport.com, go to forums-The Nostalgia Forum - there are threads from about a year ago (you'll have to use the search function) where some enterprising individuals have toured the Lotus History - ie Cheshunt;Hornsey; various lockup garages etc. V. Interesting !

Sorry for hijacking this thread !
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:18 pm

I would also like to provide the correct stainless bolts, if someone were able to measure the correct domed head, collar, bolt length and thread. Could you help with that info?

Ohh thats a question for Si, are you still there Si? You have been quite for a while.

Riley Elf like the front bumper bolts or slotted heads? and what about the 2 blank un-used holes, bolts or black rubber grommets?

Jason
Attachments
Slotted.JPG and
Elf.JPG and
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:46 am

Hi everyone

The fixings for the rear bumper on my '73 Plus 2 130/5 are Round Head Pozidrive or Phillips screws (1/4" UNC I think). These do look to be original, as do the black rubber blanking grommets in the two additional redundent holes.

I was wondering if anyone else's car has this type of fixing

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Matt » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:40 am

Your right Andy

They have black rubber blanking grommets in the two rear holes and use the same as the dashboard fixing (Round Head Pozidrive bolts)

Matt
1967 Elan S3
1970 Elan S4 Sprint
1972 Europa TC
1973 Elan +2 s130/5
1978 Esprit S1
1981 Esprit S2.2
Matt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: beresneva » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:14 pm

I had bought the front bumper when advertised as ''Ford Anglia'' very impressive quality and very good fit: only difference is the bottom lip, which is the top of the radiator intake surround is a little shallower than the original, but you wouldn't know without comparing side-by-side, and anyway you can only see the lip if you bend down, and look up. Their responsiveness to my queries very prompt and thorough too.I have now ordered a rear bumper: Harrington will sell seperately.

Indeed, I have asked them about the ''blanking'' mushroom bumper bolts -and though they had not thought about this, they are interested to supply: does anyone have the dimensions/thread of these, bettre still aphoto and drawing...?

Tony
beresneva
New-tral

PostPost by: john122S » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:06 pm

When I took off the rear bumper of my +2S recently to excavate the fossilized license plate lamp sockets, I had to saw off the rusted bumper bolts, suggesting they might have been original. They were 1" 1/4 UNFs, which I replaced with 1" 1/4 UNC grade 5 chrome carriage bolts (4 for $12.50) ordered online from BoltDepot.com (no affiliation) in the US, which I have found a good source of SS bolts, esp the 1/4 UNFs (28 TPI) that abound on the Lotus. Carriage bolts have a square section below the dome that locks into the hole in the bumper. The dome is a bit higher than on the old ones, but they look proper; fine threaded ones were not listed, although SS ones were available. I used 2 reg ss bolts on the underside wing attachments of the bumper. Only drawback is about $10 S&H fee per order. Curiously, my rear bumper looks fine, while the front has shed many patches of chrome and is currently attached with 1" 5/16 UNC carriage bolts, available from the same source.
Cheers, John in Virginia
john122S
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:03 pm

Any more news on/reviews of these?

Craig
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:49 pm

Rear bolts
Attachments
DSCF0974.JPG and
DSCF0973.JPG and
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:32 am

Did anyone receive their Harrington Group bumpers from Vietnam yet? Wondering how they fit.

Am I correct that elimination of the two "blanking plug" holes will not effect fitment? Sounds like Harrington can remove these holes if preferred.

I have removed my rear bumper and there is pretty extensive damage around the area where the trunk floor support bracket attaches to the top of the fibreglass body. Is this part supposed to actually attach to the steel bumper for re-enforcement? I have the remote cable style mechanism and floor bracket.

I emailed Harrington Group and received the following:
============================

Enquiring about the Lotus Plus 2 bumper sets you were working up.

Information on Lotuselan.net interest list in August indicated you were shipping shortly to some clients in the UK and would be checking fitment with these first clients to insure satisfaction before shipping to North America. In addition, I understand you were hoping to be able to supply the correct mounting bolts in stainless.

Wondering how the project is coming. I am located in Canada, and it would be ideal if you have had a chance to sort all fitment issues before I order, and the correct bolts are available.

Did you receive the required sizing information for the bolts? I have my bumpers currently removed from the car, but I am not sure if the bolts are stock or not. I can measure them up if required.

I understand the rear bumper has two vestigial holes on the top side that are filled with plug bolts. Would you consider simply removing these holes if not required for correct mounting on the Plus 2? I understand the rear bumper, unlike the front one, only fits the Plus 2 so perhaps not an issue of universal fit for another model?

My timing on my order is very flexible. I anticipate re-installing bumpers on my restoration project around March/April 2009, so no rush here. Surveying the car, bumpers will be required to finish off the job; really just need to confirm they fit well, get the correct mounting bolts, and confirm shipping arrangements to Canada.

Thanks

Stu Gilmour
Calgary Alberta Canada
1971 Lotus Elan Plus 2

==============================

Hi Stu,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Indeed we have shipped several sets to customers in the UK.

We have not as yet managed to get the info on the size of fitting bolts, we have been very busy and have not really had the time to push for the info.

About the two holes on the top side of the rear bumper, supplying bumpers without these holes is no problem.

We do have sets in stock, ready to go if you are interested.

Kind regards,

Michael

www.groupharrington.com
www.isettashop.com
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:48 pm

The UK ebay site below has a range of polished bumper bolts (mostly chrome over stainless).

It might be worth contacting them for polished stainless without the chrome, to match the stainless finish of the reproductions.

Regards

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BK-Engineering-and-Equipment
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:08 pm

BTW, stainless steel bumpers, where fitted as original equipment, such as on some Alfa Romeos, are just plain thin to begin with. Probably a cost-saving feature, maybe to make stamping and forming easier, whatever. My GTV bumpers weigh just a few pounds - but they look good and can be polished up quite well. Scratches can be removed pretty easily, and hey, they're light!
Cheers,
Greg Tatarian
Elan S4
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ngs » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:52 am

Hi Tony.

Can you tell us about the fit & quality of the new rear bumper?

Thanks, Nigel
ngs
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Carlos A » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:17 pm

I got my bumpers today!!!

Best

Carlos
Last edited by Carlos A on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Carlos A
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Carlos A » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:14 pm

Rear Bumper 1 :D
Attachments
Bumper1.jpg and
Carlos A
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: