Plus 2 Door Seals

PostPost by: gwiz22 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:28 am

Does anyone have the original door seals for a Plus 2. If so, I would appreciate if you could respond with a photo of the end of the seal showing a cross section of the profile. Many thanks.

As an indicator, I attach an image from the parts list.

Thanks in advance,
Graham.
Attachments
Door Trim Profile.JPG
Door Trim Profile.JPG (5.19 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
gwiz22
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi Graham,

The thumbnail on your posting looks very much like the Elan S4 Seal & that's as rare as Hens Teeth.
Lotus robbed it from the Austin / Morris 1100 Parts Bin. (Scrap Yard maybe?)
Ask Sue Miller, I bought some from her about 3 years ago.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:19 pm

Graham

I bought my door seal from Sue Miller about 2 years ago. They don't look the same as your illustration but have the rubber "tube" attached to the part that clips over the edge. I found the ony way to get the doors anywhere near watertight was to fit a secondary seal the the front edge of the door.

I can provide photos if you wish.

Regards

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:20 pm

Andy,

the Seal you describe sounds what I fitted to my S4 (It's quite a bit "fatter". Supplied by Chris Neil years ago) & had no chance of getting the Doors to close properly, making an already terrible "shut line" look even worse.
Mine most likely had a "fatter" Tube section than the one you have used.
I've yet to fit the so called correct seal but am expecting that I will be able to reposition the doors further in towards the Body.
Maybe the Door fit on the +2 does not provide so much of a problem as it does on Drophead S4's.
Things like this are the niggling bits about our little Cars aren't they.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gwiz22 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks Chaps,

I've already tried Sue. She said Mick bought the last lot from their supplier some time ago and it has all gone now. Maybe I'm on a wild goose chase but I thought I'd have a go to see if it is being re-made. Hence my request for a picture from someone who has the original seal. It doesn't matter what condition, just as long as I can see the profile. Some measurements would be useful too.

Thanks in advance.

Graham.
gwiz22
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:23 pm

I've been out in the Garage & taken a couple of Photos & now realise that my previous Posts on this subject were wrong.
The Seal that I bought from Mick Miller's "Last of the original Stock" does have a Tubular cross section but smaller than the Seal presently fitted to my S4.
At one of "the Shows" I picked up a couple of Samples from the "Woolies" Stand & the one pictured looks more like the Seal depicted in your first Posting Graham
Woolies Part Nr. 2654

Cheers
John

PS Woolies will most likely be at the NEC
Attachments
DSCN0839.JPG and
Door Seal from Susan Miller
DSCN0838.JPG and
Woolies Seal Nr.2654
DSCN0840.JPG and
Contact Details - Woolies
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gwiz22 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:50 pm

John,

Thanks for going to all the trouble to take pictures and measurements. Most grateful. I called Woolies, they are going to send me a sample and I'm going up to the NEC on Saturday.

The young lady I soke to mentioned that the flap seal (the one in your lower pic) is really designed to clip over edge joints of around 3mm thickness. I measured the edges of my Plus2 door apertures and the thickness varied from 6.4mm to 8.3mm. From the sample you have, what's your judgement? Do you think the gripper prongs will hold on around the door edge? Alternatively, is the gripper channel roughly the same width as the tubular type trim, as that's what I have on mine at the moment and while it's not a vice like grip, it appears to stay in place.

Thanks again for your help.
GRaham
gwiz22
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:06 pm

Hi Graham,

I'm presently busy preparing my Car for the German T?V (Type approval) & don't really have the time to be distracted to carry out that check.
I would also be sticking my neck out to say that the Seal would span that width.
However those seals are capable of being stretched quite widely apart with the required amount of persuasion (Rubber Hammer).
I think you should pick up some samples at the NEC & give them all a try.
Sorry that I can't be of further help at this time.

Good luck & let us know your solution.
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gwiz22 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:42 pm

John,

Understood. Good luck with the TUV tests.

Regards
Graham
gwiz22
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:36 pm

Graham,
Just posted this in the "Wanted or Needed" re Chrome Grill.
It may be of interest to you. I visited their stand at the recent Club Lotus Parts Fair.

I have just checked the list of Exhibitors at the NEC, they are on Stand A101,A102.

Perhaps worth a visit?
Attachments
Phoenix Supplies.jpg and
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: