Plus 2 interior lights

PostPost by: Higs » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:36 am

When I took out my rear three quarter panel, the interior lights lenses disintegrated to dust. I have been looking for replacements.

My car is the early +2, and was fitted with a switched light by the rear mirror and two unswitched lights (switched through the dash board or the courtesy switches but not on the unit itself) in the rear.

I have found that these lenses were used on the Cortina Mk1 Estate and the Cortina Owners club still sell them (they also sell the cortina switched lenses which are slightly different to the Plus 2 design):

http://www.mk1cortina.com/php/clubshop.php?cat=ELECTRICAL

Does anyone know of another source?

To buy them you need to be a member of their club (?24). Is anyone a member already who would be prepared to buy some (for commission!)? Or if I were to become a member, does anyone want lenses or anything else from them?

Richard
Higs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:22 am

The only place I've found them Richard is eBay, and then you have to pay ?15 - ?30 for one, usually with base but often a bit yellow. I didn't know about the Cortina club lenses...good find!

From memory, that 'EL24' lens will fit the unswitched and the switched light in the plus 2. as the recess for the switch at the side is in the bottom moulding rather than the lens.

I'll buy a couple if you join, and I'm sure that a few others will. Seems fair to add a quid or so onto the price of each lens to pay for membership, and if you get 25 or so who want them, it's all sorted.

Cheers...Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:14 pm

Richard, sorry to hijack your thread a little, but my S130 has the interior lights over the doors. They always bugged me because they were cracked and yellowed. As a replacement and if you are re-doing your head-lining, consider using VW beetle interior lights. They even have Hella marked on them . They are ever so slightly longer and wider but I'm sure this would only be spotted by an "expert". It's best to fit them at the same time as a headlining change because the metal frames need opening up just a little. This is easier to do with the metals frames on the bench. Obviously not applicable to the early Plus Twos.

Regards
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Richard. I will buy a set of 3 lens & make a contribution to the membership fee.

Have attached a pic of the front interior light on my 1968 +2.

Regards
Attachments
Front Interior Light+2.jpg and
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:43 pm

like teejay i'll go for a set of 3 plus a contribution.
RichC
PM me once you're ready to go ahead
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:06 am

Greetings, Looks like MG 1100 to me. (I'll bet they're from some other British car, probably a sedan...and can be bought inexpensively.)
If they are Lotus oops Ford(?) unique, I'd try the purchase through a Cortina Club member to save the membership fee.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:38 am

Count me in for a set of three also - good find
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:42 am

Hi

There was some talk about this awhile ago, I think we decided that the front light was switched (+2 only) and the 2 rear were not (Ford Zephry).

make sure you get the correct ones as the Cortina one are not correct.

Jason
Attachments
$ Zephyr.JPG and
$ Early +2.JPG and
$ Cortina.jpg and
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sun May 08, 2011 3:03 pm

nothing ever came of this did it?
I'd surely like to get my hands on something that'll do the job as all this sun & heat has finished mine off!
what's the latest folks?
RichC
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Sun May 08, 2011 6:29 pm

A couple of tips to help prolong the life of these lights (if you can get a hold of them).

My ones started to disintegrate at the back where the UV is strongest from the rear window. A small hole had appeared as I handled them.

I made up some araldite (a reasonable colour match) and masked the outside of the lens where the hole was. I then warmed and painted the liquid araldite into the blanked hole on the inside, and also where the plastic had deteriorated. Once set it did not look too bad.

The other tip is to create a small gap between the light lens and the body where the bulb sits. You don't see the gap if it is 1mm or so, and air can flow into the bulb area and cool it. Otherwise the back of the lamp can turn brown and distort with the heat.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun May 08, 2011 9:06 pm

Ray at rdent.com has the ones with the slot for the light switch listed. Go to the side panel under "model specific parts/Elan Plus 2/Plus 2 Parts" and scroll about 2/4 way down. The slot type light switch is not the same as the front light in my car, and would not work with the switch base at the end. These look like a reasonable replacement for the two rear lights, but are not identical.
Attachments
pic of interior light lens.jpg
pic of interior light lens.jpg (23.02 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Iyarno » Mon May 09, 2011 8:33 am

I 'may' be up for set of 3 too + contribution, but do these include the base?

At the moment I just have the slightly cracked base installed with the festoon bulbs showing, so ideally I'd like the whole unit.

Am I right in thinking the courtesy light switches are also identical to the +2s?
Iyarno
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon May 09, 2011 4:29 pm

I've bitten the bullett and registered myself with mk! cortina spares (?22 ) and bought the lenses at ?16+ each plus postage .
They'd better be worth it!
Rich
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Mon May 09, 2011 5:41 pm

david.g.chapman wrote:A couple of tips to help prolong the life of these lights (if you can get a hold of them).

The other tip is to create a small gap between the light lens and the body where the bulb sits. You don't see the gap if it is 1mm or so, and air can flow into the bulb area and cool it. Otherwise the back of the lamp can turn brown and distort with the heat.
Dave Chapman.

You can use LED festoon bulbs, no heating :mrgreen:
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon May 09, 2011 6:28 pm

..or turn the lights off... (close the door?)
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: