Purchased a Plus2

PostPost by: Dave240 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm very excited to post that I have found a 69 Plus2 that I will be picking up right away! It will be my first Lotus and I have a few questions for you guys.

I'll tell you a little about the car. It was imported from California (I live in Edmonton, Canada) about 10 years ago by a guy in Calgary, Canada. He brought it up to be a vintage racer and got as far as starting to sand the body (no chemicals used) and strip the interior. He also took the carbs off, disassembled the dash and steering column and basically removed everything except the block and a few accessories. From what I can tell it's pretty much ready to remove the body from the chassis. His arthritis then forced him to sell the car. He sold it to the current owner last spring, who bought it, put it in his garage and hasn't touched it. He's now moving and had to sell it.

The data plate has 50/1462 inscribed in it. It has the big valve twin cam and compression ranges from 155 on 1 and 4 to 160 on 2 and 3. Is that decent compression?

It comes with two of brand new Koni shocks that have never been installed, which I know are worth a pretty penny. The fuel tank has been recently redone too.

However, the car is missing a few items that I am trying to source.

? All wiring harnesses - the PO threw them out as he planned on buying new ones, but never did. I've found some at British Wiring for $662. Is that the best place?

? Rubber seal for windscreen - It was rotten when the PO removed the glass. I've found one at RD Enterprises for $139, but not sure they have any in stock.

? Rear seat bottoms - No idea why they are missing but they are. Just noticed Lotus 50 has some he's giving away. Fingers crossed!

? Headliner - PO threw it out as well. Any idea where I can track it down? The carpets are all there, but apparently in rough shape. I haven't opened them up to look yet. Anyone make new carpets or would it be easier to just make my own using the old ones as a template?

I think the sills need to be replaced as well and since the car is at a stage where the body is ready to remove, I would do that. Where can I source the sills in North America?

Thanks in advance if you can answer any of my questions!
Dave
69 Elan +2 - Currently in as many pieces as physically possible
Dave240
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:41 pm

Welcome Dave and congrats on the +2

Most parts are available from Ebay or at the usual suspects see below:

http://www.mickmillerlotus.com/lotus-parts.html
http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/index.php?mod=10
http://www.paulmattysportscars.co.uk/parts.aspx

Good luck with the build you will find lots of helpful people on here.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dave240 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:01 pm

Thanks Jason!

Figured I should also add some photos.
Dave240
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:11 pm

Dave240 wrote:I'm very excited to post that I have found a 69 Plus2 that I will be picking up right away! It will be my first Lotus and I have a few questions for you guys.

I'll tell you a little about the car. It was imported from California (I live in Edmonton, Canada) about 10 years ago by a guy in Calgary, Canada. He brought it up to be a vintage racer and got as far as starting to sand the body (no chemicals used) and strip the interior. He also took the carbs off, disassembled the dash and steering column and basically removed everything except the block and a few accessories. From what I can tell it's pretty much ready to remove the body from the chassis. His arthritis then forced him to sell the car. He sold it to the current owner last spring, who bought it, put it in his garage and hasn't touched it. He's now moving and had to sell it.

The data plate has 50/1462 inscribed in it. It has the big valve twin cam and compression ranges from 155 on 1 and 4 to 160 on 2 and 3. Is that decent compression?

It comes with two of brand new Koni shocks that have never been installed, which I know are worth a pretty penny. The fuel tank has been recently redone too.

However, the car is missing a few items that I am trying to source.

? All wiring harnesses - the PO threw them out as he planned on buying new ones, but never did. I've found some at British Wiring for $662. Is that the best place?

? Rubber seal for windscreen - It was rotten when the PO removed the glass. I've found one at RD Enterprises for $139, but not sure they have any in stock.

? Rear seat bottoms - No idea why they are missing but they are. Just noticed Lotus 50 has some he's giving away. Fingers crossed!

? Headliner - PO threw it out as well. Any idea where I can track it down? The carpets are all there, but apparently in rough shape. I haven't opened them up to look yet. Anyone make new carpets or would it be easier to just make my own using the old ones as a template?

I think the sills need to be replaced as well and since the car is at a stage where the body is ready to remove, I would do that. Where can I source the sills in North America?

Thanks in advance if you can answer any of my questions!
Dave

Cool Dave. Welcome to the madness. Very exciting to have another Plus 2 in the area. If you are by Calgary and want to check mine out or have any questions feel free to give a call. Four oh three two eight one oh two six six at home. I may be going up your way mid-month or so to look at a car trailer in Nisku; would be great to connect. My car is 50-2181 so there may be some differences.

Will try some of your questions...

I completely did the body off deal, although I jobbed out the engine, body and paint. Paint was done in Innisfail by Haler Concepts, so they are now completely familiar with the Plus 2 and might be a possibility if you are not doing your own. I have posted several pics here, or you can find at this link

http://halerconcepts.com/1971_lotus_hal ... ts_ltd.htm

Check with Ray at RD on the window seals; he should be able to get it in I think. That's where I got mine and they worked well. Get Ray to put "Vintage car Parts, over 25 years old" on the packing slip envelop on outside of package and the parts are imported duty free. He will ship by USPS, which can be a savings on small stuff. Not as happy with the RD door seals though; one door is sticking out and I think the seal is too large. From posts here this is a common problem though with the commonly available door seals.

Spyder offers the side rails and blanking plates. Not sure if Ray, Dave Bean or the other NA suppliers have them, but worth a try. Consider installing them prior to separating body from frame as they provide excellent jacking points and a place to mount castors. Also inspect rear seat belt mounts at the same time.

If you want use of my body cart / Ali tubing side rails, castors, platform jacks, etc. let me know. I have put up a few posts regarding how I did the lift that might be helpful. Haler link above shows the temp rails in use.

Headliner is available from Sue Miller in the 'Lodestar' pattern I believe your car will have used. They are available as yardage material or pre-sewn. The glass has to be removed to install it. Note there are two types, three rod and four rod. I think your car is three rod.

For the loom, I took a different approach and used a Lucas Uni-Loom from Spyder. If you search archives on "Uni-Loom" you can see some remarks on advantage & limitations of this approach.

For carpets, Sue will have them or you can have some made up locally. they are all flat pieces, so not too bad. Good recent thread on source of appropriate material. I got mine from eBay from a guy in Florida, but I haven't seen his listings lately.

HTH

PS - register the car here: http://elanregistry.org/list_cars.php
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 pm

That a boy.............jump right into it. These are fun cars and fixing other peoples ideas is a PITA.

But, once done correctly it is quite rewarding. Looks as you need too do a bunch.........don't get in a hurry as you will end up taking shortcuts and come to kick yourself in the arse later.

Don't let cost of items get in the way of doing the right thing.

I recently changed out a cheap muffler and installed the correct one, it was expensive. A cheap one was used and the entire exhaust system was welded together..............don't get me started.

The biggest problem you will have is dying to drive it.

You have chosen wisely young Luke Skywalker as the Plus 2 is one of the great cars.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mr fixit » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:29 pm

just done the same thing except mines 1967 50/0032 and in boxes!!
Not really sure what I've let myself in for yet

Lotus Elan +2 50/0032
mr fixit
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Dave240 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:36 pm

Stu - It will be very helpful to know a fellow Elan owner is so close. I actually just got back from Calgary yesterday but will probably be heading down for work in the coming weeks.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Ray does in fact have the seals, so that is good news! The seller has told me he has rolling platforms for the car, but he forgot to show them to me when I looked at the car. But I still may take you up on that offer. Thanks for all the other info. I have lots and lots to research!

You car looks great by the way!

Although I am very excited to get the car, I know it will be a while before I get it on the road. I hope to do the bodywork myself with the help of a friend you owns a body shop. My biggest concern is the body. I've never had a fibreglass car before, so I have to do some reading on how to properly prepare the car for paint. I read the 'Stripping glassfibre" article on this site, so that's a start I suppose. I don't really have a grasp on gelcoat though, so I obviously have some research ahead of me!
Dave240
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:19 am

Sounds great Dave. There are a number of fibreglass experts here. There are also highly recommended books by Miles Wilkins that may be of interest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Restore-Pai ... 010&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Restore-Fibregl ... 0850455561
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:59 am

http://www.option1sportscars.co.uk/bodyshop.htm

Option 1 are regarded in the UK as one of if not the best. If you scroll down the page of the link above they explain their process which basically is:

1. Strip all paint
2. Resin matt / basecoat (tissue the whole body)
3. Adhesion promoter
4. High build primer
5. 2K primer
6. Dust / guide coat
7. Body colour
8. Clear coat
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am

Welcome to the Lotus world.

It helps to realise that the Lotus world is inside out compared to the rest of the classic car world!!!

The rest of the classic car world focuses on the external appearance as you stand and look at the car. The Lotus world is all about what it feels like as you drive it and you cant see the outside from the drivers seat.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dave240 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Thanks for all the help so far. I'll definitely try to pick up one of those books. Also, does anyone have a guess what colour the car was originally. There is the blue you can see on the rear of the car underneath the current teal colour. Any thoughts?
Dave240
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Either French blue or Wedgewood blue.

See my post below, the 2 colours are pretty close:

elan-plus-f13/which-colour-again-t21802.html
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dave240 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:45 am

The Elan has arrived! The previous owner was awesome and delivered it to me last night as his inlaws live up here.

So I know how many of these types of projects go unfinished (two previous owners are proof) so I'm going to create a plan of how I'm going to do the work. Basically just create an order of how I'm going to do the work.
I need to do:
-Make inventory of all parts in boxes and see what is missing/in need of replacement
-Replace sills
-Body work and paint
-Inspect engine/rebuild if necessary
-Assemble interior
-Purchase wiring and wire it all up

So I'll need some help with that! Also, Stu, I searched for Uni-Loom but couldn't find any information about it. Do you have a link? At this point, the British Wiring Services seems attractive as I'd love to just plug everything in. But is there a significant cost savings or other advantage to the Uni-Loom route?
Dave240
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:06 am

John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: