Radiator mounting

PostPost by: graham » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Can anyone help with the mounting points for the radiator in a 2s130 1974.
Mine has had a new front to the body and there are no holes to mount to.
It has a new recored rad, standard size

Graham
graham
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi. I had the same problem. Really difficult to find the correct position. In my case the fit was compounded by additional fibreglass on the inner wings, so the standard brackets had to be modified. I started a thread on here at the time so there may be pics and descriptions there that will help you. From memory the bottom of the rad sits slightly behind the steering rack and it leans slightly toward the back of the car.

Regards.

Sean.
Last edited by alaric on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: graham » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:42 am

Thanks Sean have found the thread and looks to be helpful. Will have to adjust brackets to get it to fit, sounds a common problem with maybe thicker f/glass in new body section.
Graham
graham
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:54 am

Hi Graham

I am rebuilding my 1974 +2S130 at present and have just got the body back on the chassis so was able to take a couple of measurements 4 U. Info from the PO suggested mine had had a prang back in 1990 at the front and so the fittment of radiator will be based on what the rebuilder did then. Still when I stripped it out it was running OK and all looked OK.

i dropped a simple plumb line down in line with the rad bracket fixing holes and it looks like mine is not fully square. The holes are 8cm forward from front suspension body bobbin body bolt center on the RH (drivers) side and 9.5cm on the Left hand side. the hole are "fairly close" to vertical in both cases

Have attached a picture from B4 my strip down showing the left hand side bracket to get some idea

Hope this helps can get other info if it helps

best of luck

Bob
Attachments
DSCF0384b_copy.jpg and
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi. Just edited my post above slightly - I happened to reread it and noticed that I'd suggested the rad was slightly forward of the rack - that's not what I meant to say - I think it sits slightly behind it - sorry.

Regards.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: graham » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:02 am

The radiator was recored with a three row core and an upgrade of both tanks.On trial fitting the lower tank inlet pipe coincided with the steering column joint.I have had to modify the brackets to fit inside the f/glass and to overcome the lower pipe have swopped the mount brackets from one side to the other. If you look down from top of rad it is a fraction over the cross member. Have still to work out any other problems that may arise from the swap around. Thanks for the help and have a Merry Christmas from NZ

Graham
graham
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:41 am

Hi. The main problem that I had, and still have actually, is the inlet duct to the carbs would not go through the gap between the rad and the bonnet cross bar. I had ti do similar changes as it turns out. So it's worth checking that you can close the bonnet with everything in place.

Have a good Christmas all.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: