secondary door weatherstrip

PostPost by: tower of strength » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:43 pm

Thats a nifty device for lifting the body Bob, I like it!! I'm going to hire a couple of "genie lifts" to put my body back on, still nursing a ruptured spine and a lack of mates since we lifted it off!!

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:59 pm

Mark

I used Vermette lifts. I do not know if they are available in the UK. You can jack up the body one "click" at a time. Alternating from side to side. They were borrowed from a friend in the home heaating / air conditioning business. They are most helpful when returrning the body to the chasssiss. You have complete control.

The picture shows placing the body on the rolling Spyder chasssis protecctedd with plastic sheeting. I then wet sanded the paint off the body. Of course the plastic kept the drivetrain and chassis dry and clean.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:52 pm

Bob, many thanks for help re. this subject, I've ordered up the final bits I need to build up the doors.

It's just this secondaty seal I don't understand now. On your pics where this seal goes and people have fitted a smal run I have a dedicated lip right around the door to take a full seal, it looks like it will go all around the underneath of the doorcard.......is this the secondary seal?

Thanks,
Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:23 am

I believe my car is either wrong or it was done differently when manufactured. The seal that is glued to the face of the door is not as illustrated in this thread and nor in the workshop manual. The secondary seal is approx. 22" and fits on the door flange in a similar fashion as the door opening weatherstrip is attached. This seccondary seal is similar or identical to the door opening seal and runs from the intersection of the window frame and door flange at the front of the door to just around the curve at the bottom of the door.

There is a third rubber strip that is in the door opening under the windscreen pillar. This short piece is right angle rubber where one "leg" is riveted to the door opening. The metal "securing" strip is on the outside with the rubber under it. The pop rivets go through the metal then the rubber and into the fiberglass.

I hope I have explained it clearly.

The link, posted in this thread, to a previous thread was most helpful and all the details fit together.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:12 pm

Hi Guys'

Yes I do have a secondary door seal on my +2 which works to good effect. It is only convenventional door seal but the trick is to only take it half way down the door and to taper it off at the top to effectively mate up with the body door seal. Next time I have my camera handy I'll take a photo. I will be at Tatton park on Sunday 3.6.07 with the Club Lotus people with Rhubarb.

For those of you interested I have posted some pics of our trip to France returning last week, in the Elan Gallery under Rhubarb. 2,423 virtually trouble free miles despite the indifferant weather. These cars are made for using!!!

Gordon Lund
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: